CNR Eight Hatches Reefers
#1
In April 2020, I posted this photo of a Funaro & Camerlengo CNR Reefer kit I had built. 

   

I had bought two of those kits but I have only build one.  The second kit was put on a shelf waiting for the moment I would be willing to deal with such a kit having so many small details.

Since then I was lucky to buy three more kits on eBay and Facebook.  So I had not one but four kits to build.  Two have hinged doors and Dreadnought ends, two have plug doors and NCS ends but construction is pretty much the same except for some details.

   

This time I decided to build them together, one step at a time.  Each step will take four more time to be completed but no kit will be left on a shelf.

I started the project a few weeks ago. Here is the first step : Cleaning the parts and putting each kit in its own tray.

   

   

I will post more photos in a near future.
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Reply
#2
I'm looking forward to following the construction, Guy.

I made an early version of the CNR cars, using a modified Athearn kit...

   

   

.....and with an October, 1939 BLT. date, it managed to just squeeze-in to my layout's late '30s era.

Wayne
Reply
#3
(10-07-2021, 11:40 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I made an early version of the CNR cars, using a modified Athearn kit...

Wayne

Really nice car with outstanding details.  Great modeling.  Worship
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Reply
#4
Another very generous and unexpected gift from Doctor Wayne

   
Reply
#5
I began the assembly by attaching the ends to the roof.  At this step, it's important to make sure everything is square and well adjusted so the finished car will be square.

   

   

I then added the sides.

   

The sides of one of the cars were too short.  I decided to add a piece of styrene at the end where there will be the ladder so the repair won't be noticeable.

   

   

So far so good.
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Reply
#6
The parts are very nice straight.


Lutz
Reply
#7
(10-08-2021, 03:24 PM)CNR5103 Wrote: The sides of one of the cars were too short.  I decided to add a piece of styrene at the end where there will be the ladder so the repair won't be noticeable.

Slick improvisation, Guy.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Reply
#8
After the bodies were assembled, I should have continued with the roofs.  But I wasn’t ready to tackle all those small pieces (more on that in a future post) so I went for the floors.


   
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Reply
#9
They are coming along nicely. Very impressive.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Reply
#10
The under frames being completed, I had no choice but to tackle the roofs.

   

   

4 cars times 8 hatches = 32 hatches, 32 latches, 48 rests, 32 handles and 64 #80 holes.

No wonder I hesitated so long to start the project.

Next step will be to finish the sides and the ends.
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Reply
#11
I am very impressed, Guy, Fantastic job so far Applause Icon_e_biggrin
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Reply
#12
Lookin' good, Guy!   Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Reply
#13
Awesome !The detail is incredible.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Reply
#14
Sides were a breeze to do.  

   

   

It was not so easy with the ends. 

   

The assembly of the four cars is now completed.  

Ready for the primer and then the paint room.  However, I still have to find the right paint.
Guy from Southern Quebec.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)