Weekly Photo Fun 1/21 - 1/27/22
One big, one little on the Wilderson Division.      Charlie
Well, since I seem to have lost my tag-along computer crap, I'll share some photos of a few recent kit-builds, given to me by a friend. 

The first three are from Red Caboose (now part of Intermountain), and are all of the 1924-built X-29 cars.   I opted to do this one as a B&O car, as they had quite a few X-29 clones...

...this one is similar, but lettered for the Pennsy...

I decided to add a few extra details to this one, to turn it into a Railway Express Agency car.  While I did get some lettering onto it, the two decals for the word "PENNSYLVANIA" along with the two circle-keystone images decided to disintegrate during application...not just  a break in the decal film, but what looked like a shattered glass - totally unuseable.

I contacted Tichy for new decals, which should arrive in a week-or-so (the previous Pennsy boxcar shown was done with Tichy's decals, the first time that I had used them).

This one, a styrene/resin casting from Yankee Clipper, was included in the gift.  It's a model of the CPR's "MINIBOX", an early all-steel boxcar...

If you're looking closely at the photos, you'll notice that some of the lettering is missing from the cars (besides that on the Railway Express car).

The other three cars will be "dashing through the snow" this evening, as I plan to take them out to my paintshop in the garage (about 100' behind the house).
When there, they'll all get a coat of Testors' clear gloss.   A day or two later, after the paint has fully cured, I'll mask-off those areas where there's lettering missing, then take them out again to weather them.

Once the weathering is dry, I'll remove the masking tape, and apply the missing lettering.  This is one way of adding some history to your rolling stock, as freight cars had to be re-weighed at certain intervals, and, of course, also needed the trucks' journals re-packed, too.

Here are some photos of cars done earlier, using the same method.  They all show re-weigh information at left, and re-pack info near the right end...

While some of these models were left with newly-applied data, I often add a little more weathering to some of them, too, just to show that they weren't all updated at the same time.

Once the still-in-progress cars are done, I'll post some more photos of them.

Wayne
That is some really good attention to detail!
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
(01-27-2022, 05:43 PM)exohead Wrote: That is some really good attention to detail!

Your kind words are much appreciated.

Wayne
Wayne,

As always, great looking models and explanation of what you are doing.

Bruce