3D Printer Feedback Request
First, I'm finally getting a 3D printer. I'll be using my tax refund to buy it.

I know I've read a few posts here on 3D Printing.

How many members have a 3D Printer?
Should we create a dedicated forum for 3D Printing?
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
That's a dark path you're going! Smile
Jokes aside, I have been 3D printing for the last 5 years, and it's awesome!
I have 3 different printers now, one Wanhao duplicator 4S, one Mass fusion fdm and one Anycubic Photon.
The one I use 90% of the time is the Anycubic resin printer.
I also have the Anycubic Wash and Cure machine, which is really helpful to have when resin printing....
[Image: KiOWz79.jpeg]
3D printed oil derrick that I designed in Fusion 360.
I see the price range on printers run from around $200 to well into the five-figures. I would be interested to learn more about which give you the most bang for you buck and what folks are doing with them. I think the time has come when more and more modelers are going to have their own.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(02-02-2022, 06:45 AM)Graffen Wrote: That's a dark path you're going! Smile
Jokes aside, I have been 3D printing for the last 5 years, and it's awesome!
I have 3 different printers now, one Wanhao duplicator 4S, one Mass fusion fdm and one Anycubic Photon.
The one I use 90% of the time is the Anycubic resin printer.
I also have the Anycubic Wash and Cure machine, which is really helpful to have when resin printing....

LOL You mean following a dark path like model railroading... or photography....  or running a forum????

And Three printers??  Too Cool!!!!  I've been waiting for them to get to affordable prices.  I really didn't want to pay over $1000.00.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

(02-02-2022, 09:38 AM)ezdays Wrote: I see the price range on printers run from around $200 to well into the five-figures. I would be interested to learn more about which give you the most bang for you buck and what folks are doing with them.  I think the time has come when more and more modelers are going to have their own.

I'm thinking the same way.   Mine will cost close to $600.00 then there's the add-ons like filament and tools that will add to this cost.  I'm thinking that I'll mostly use it for the railroad.  My wife has 4 doll houses so I'll end up making things for her too.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Don't know how many times I've done some scratchbuilding and didn't have the right windows or doors or roof details for what I was doing. Had to settle for what I had in my parts bins. Could do them in 3D if I had a printer. Waiting

Also, thinking ahead of what I could make for Christmas presents, I hate shopping, love making things... 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-02-2022, 02:53 PM)ngauger Wrote: And Three printers??  Too Cool!!!!  I've been waiting for them to get to affordable prices.  I really didn't want to pay over $1000.00.
Then you don't want to know the pricetag on the Mass Portal printer I have here....  Icon_e_surprised
I remember that it was $6000....
I would recommend anyone to buy a resin printer in the $300-600 range.
This has been an interest for me too. How hard is it to use the design software, and are there files already available for free or cheap. How does the resin printer work in your opinion. 
Your derrick looks great. 
Charlie
(02-02-2022, 06:08 PM)Charlie B Wrote: This has been an interest for me too. How hard is it to use the design software, and are there files already available for free or cheap. How does the resin printer work in your opinion. 
Charlie

Charlie: I'm sure Graffen will also weigh in on this.  I've been researching for about a week now.  I'm finding various sites that have railroad scenery items, that through the programming process can be scaled to any desirable size.
This seems to be a good one: https://www.krafttrains.com/store.htm

Don:  I'm thinking the same thing..  Custom Christmas Gifts!  Big Grin  Big Grin 

By the way.... This is the printer I'm looking at:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/6294...3d-printer
Of course, I'll be researching in the store once I get there to see any other/better bargains.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I will get one eventually. Cant really justify the expense and dont have the space. But I have designed many things and printed thru shapeways or 3dptrain.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(02-02-2022, 06:08 PM)Charlie B Wrote: This has been an interest for me too. How hard is it to use the design software, and are there files already available for free or cheap. How does the resin printer work in your opinion. 
Charlie

Like all CAD design software, there's a steep learning curve, but the good programs has a LOT of tutorials.
I use Fusion 360, and as a total rookie it took me just a few weeks to learn the ropes so I at least could design most shapes.
Then there's the plethora of downloadable STL files, either free or bought.
Places like Thingiverse is great.
The resin printer is really the way to go for model work, as it is more or less ready to paint.
I was a bit wary at the beginning, as people had written about how messy it was with the resins etc...
I don't experience it like that at all.
You fill the vat, you start the print and when finished, you remove the build plate with the model to clean in some ISO.
The resin left is poured back into the bottle through a paint strainer.
The residue is cleaned off by dunking the vat in some ISO and brushing it off.
As I use the Wash and Cure machine, the post processing is rather easy.
The build plate is placed in a holder in the ISO filled tank.
Press the button, and it cleans the model.
Then remove the tank and put the holder on the rotating plate and press the next button, and it UV cures the model.
While I'm impressed by some of the 3D printed stuff that I've seen, I'm not at all interested in buying one or learning how to use it.

Wayne
(02-03-2022, 12:01 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: While I'm impressed by some of the 3D printed stuff that I've seen, I'm not at all interested in buying one or learning how to use it.

Wayne

That was my thinking for the past year or so.  The steep learning curve.   
I'm going to try my best to make this work  Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Take a look at just about any technology, steep learning curve at the start, piece of cake down the line. Remember when flat screen TV's first came out, they suggest you get an engineer to help you set it up. Now, it's plug and play.

Working with a machine that makes things gets me excited, learning the software, not so much, but I'm sure that's going to get easier and easier. Finding and buying the right one, now that's where the challenge is going to be. Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and