Weekly Photo Fun 3/25 - 3/31/22
WPMA-19 at Atlantic Sweetener.

Bruce

Bruce - Keep the Conrail stuff coming. Makes my day.

With the sudden drop in temperatures from last weekend. Time for a coal drag with Lehigh & New England 2-8-0 Consolidation (Bachmann).

[Image: H8sUqWH.jpg]

[Image: rJzfP06.jpg]

I am hoping to soon have enough the layout cleared off so that I can run some run-by videos. Problem with working on the layout is the work can stop the fun training running.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Canadian National's U2G Northern locomotives were dual service power used on both passenger and fast freight service.#6213 heads to the James St. roundhouse after arriving at Leetown with a hotshot freight.

[Image: 27838711208_1d9a5aed7a_k.jpg]P1320450 by Ed Creechan, on Flickr
The local has just worked the westside yard and is running the lead toward the main. Next stop will be the Horn Switch serving the East End      Charlie
GREAT shots guys! Applause Applause

For the most part seems steam is kinda the theme? 
Charlie, seeing the Pennsy 0-4-0 reminded me of my  Dads Pennsy 0-4-0 Icon_e_biggrin . 

The second to the smallest steamer I have was my Dads, its a Milwaukee Road Mikado, BLI "blue box", so it doesnt have all the most intricate details, but its DCC with AWESOME QSI sound  Applause , runs flawlessly too.  Behind it is a Pennsy 50' double door boxcar, that boxcar was the VERY FIRST model RR item my dad ever bought, it got him started into the hobby back in the mid 60's Icon_e_biggrin . I really dont have much anything of Dads stuff, he sold it all off for money when he had to stop the hobby due to health, but I do have these, and just a couple other things.
[Image: RkxvKAZ.jpg]
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Steam will always rule the Leetown Division but it's hard to ignore these "intruders"

[Image: 51964899000_ae29c047b9_k.jpg]P1460446 by Ed Creechan, on Flickr

[Image: 51964622414_a1634fa4d6_k.jpg]P1460443 by Ed Creechan, on Flickr
I finally got the last 4 (of 12) TH&B hoppers built and painted...

In a couple of days, they'll go back to the paint shop for a coat of clear gloss (for decal application), and a couple more days later, back for a semi-flat clear coat, and some weathering.

I dunno why, but these four were more difficult to build than the first eight.

Wayne
I converted one of the Rapido Penn Central EP5 (or E40s) into its freight configuration.   This necessitated removing a good chunk of the roof detail, one of the pantographs, the third rail shoes, and re-lettering the unit.   These ran into Conrail but were never repainted.  They ran their last miles in New Jersey, so I wanted to model one of them. 4977 was the last one in service.

So basically, I have the whole line up of mainline Conrail Electrics.

Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
(03-30-2022, 03:27 PM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote: I converted one of the Rapido Penn Central EP5 (or E40s) into its freight configuration.   This necessitated removing a good chunk of the roof detail, one of the pantographs, the third rail shoes, and re-lettering the unit.   These ran into Conrail but were never repainted.  They ran their last miles in New Jersey, so I wanted to model one of them. 4977 was the last one in service.  

How well does the EP5 run? I am waiting for the one I reserved which is also Penn Central.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(03-30-2022, 03:38 PM)tompm Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 03:27 PM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote: I converted one of the Rapido Penn Central EP5 (or E40s) into its freight configuration.   This necessitated removing a good chunk of the roof detail, one of the pantographs, the third rail shoes, and re-lettering the unit.   These ran into Conrail but were never repainted.  They ran their last miles in New Jersey, so I wanted to model one of them. 4977 was the last one in service.  

How well does the EP5 run? I am waiting for the one I reserved which is also Penn Central.

Well, I haven't really "stretched its legs" yet, but so far on the little sticks of track I've put it on, it seems to work just fine.  It does have some momentum out of the box.

Probably the only thing  I don't know how I feel about is the pantograph mechanisms.  

To begin with, there is a switch on the bottom of the engine, but unlike other electrics, this controls whether or not the pantographs can be raised at all.  The model comes with the pantographs down and disabled (presumably to prevent someone from accidentally sheering them off).  Once you switch this on, the pantographs will rise and fall automatically depending on direction.    You can also specifically raise and lower particular pantographs using F13 and F14, and they will stay despite any direction changes you make with the model.   

Likewise, you can set a "switching" mode, which will keep whatever pantograph raised while changing direction.  Otherwise, the model makes you wait for the pantographs to change before starting in the other direction. This comes complete with the sound effects of someone walking from one end of the engine to the other.   

However, the major drawback is that you can't actually raise and lower the pantograph by hand.   if you wanted to say, pose the model for pictures,  You'd need to fire it up and raise the appropriate pantograph.    When they are in the raised position, you can press them down by hand, but nothing locks them down.  They would easily pop up again if bumped the right way. 

Since most people don't have overhead wire, my guess is that most people will leave them locked down and switched off,  but I just figured I'd mention its peculiar set up.    The automatic function is not as fun for me because I flat out removed the other pantograph on mine (which hurt, its an expensive model),  but I have a pair of New Havens on lay away so I will be able to enjoy the full model with those.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]