Log cabin
(09-30-2022, 10:27 AM)doctorwayne Wrote: That looks pretty good to me, Don. Thumbsup Thumbsup

I have a garage, in my backyard, that according to the people from whom we bought our building lot, is now over 180 years old. 

Wayne

Thanks, the apartments in New Jersey that I first remember living in now has a plaque that says it's an Historical Preservation Building. Gotta be well over 150 years old. I remember it had running water and a toilet, but no bathtub or shower. I still remember taking baths in the kitchen sink. I often wonder if they ever brought it up to code... Waiting

(09-30-2022, 10:38 AM)TMo Wrote: Some simulated cedar shakes for the roof?

I printed some out, but they look too new, so yeah, I'll do something along those lines. Most cabins I see on, "Barnwood Builders" have been upgraded with sheet metal roofing, but I think shake shingles are more appropriate.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Your cabin has come out really nice, Don. Great job.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Don, that really looks great. I just can't even imagine doing this in HO, let alone in N. My hat is off to you sir.  Applause
Charlie
Looking really good!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
coming along nicely Don. here's a link to n scale shingles. Shingles - N Scale - Bollinger Edgerly Scale Trains (besttrains.com) 
Jim
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. Been busy cleaning and touching up. Starting to look a bit neater now, got most of the stray chinking cleaned up. Scraping with an Xacto knife then washing it with a wet brush seemed to get it off and the syringe fills in a few gaps. This is where I am now, the photos pick out a few more spots that I missed cleaning off the chinking, and of course, I need a roof. I'll look into those shake roofs, I was hoping to just be able to print them, but that may not look authentic, we'll see. I'm OK with how the weathering turned out, looks a lot what I see on Barnwood Builders...

I used joint compound for the chinking, that gave me a few hours of working time before it set. Here's also a shot of the tools I used for the chinking.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, I gotta tell ya, I am SUPER IMPRESSED!  Worship Worship Applause EVERYTHING looks great, it is very nicely done! Applause AND, to beat it all, its in N scale Eek , I couldnt even imagine doing that, well done Don, well done Worship
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Deano said it well....I am very impressed. Some day maybe I will build a model of one they just moved to our local state park Pioneer Village. 
Charlie
The weathering is spot on! Nice work Don.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(10-03-2022, 02:23 PM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: The weathering is spot on! Nice work Don.

Thank you Mike, sometimes things turn out just right by accident...

I think I'm finished, got the roof on, made my own shingles. Printed them on this sheet of stickyback paper and pasted them on that rectangle in order of the numbers, then weathered them a bit.

Here are a few shots of what it looks like now. It looks rough, but that's fully intended since it's suppose to be really old and hand crafted.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looks Great!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I agree...very nicely-done, Don, and I especially like the work that you did on that stone chimney. Worship Worship Worship 

Wayne
Thanks guys, it was a fun project and I could get a bit sloppy and it didn't matter. I have plans now to do another cabin using the logs that Jim sent me. A park with this cabin and a more recent ranger station.

There is an episode of Barnwood Builders where they take down a cabin just like this with a stone chimney like this one and I think that was my inspiration.... I cannot believe the precision that those pioneers obtained with nothing but had tools. If you haven't seen that show, you should.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Don,

it is great Applause Thumbsup

Lutz
Gunna stick my neck out. I have room on my layout for a park, so I'm going to use those sticks Jim sent me and build a ranger station/museum, call in "Pioneer Park" and feature the log cabin filled with lots of period things like furniture, kitchen items and toys. You'll, of course, need to buy a ticket to go in and see those items, but they'll be there. The museum will also feature many antiques, again, tickets required for admission. Here's what I plan, notice, no notches or lap joints, all corners will be butt joints saving me a ton of work and frustration:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and