Pin vise advise?
So I have been really struggling with the pin vises I have to get them to work reliably. I’m certain a portion of this is user error but I’ve bought two now and can’t seem to get either to reliably hold on to drill bits. I have one that I bought from Kadee that has four collet sizes and all of the sizes are either too big or too small, and another I bought from micro mark with a spring that just doesn’t seem to want to hold anything bigger than the ten or so smallest bits in my bit set (a 60-90 set). I can just forget holding bigger bits or taps in it, too.

So… What pin vise do you use? Do you have any advise for setting one up?
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
I have 2 sets of pin vises.
The newest ones are single ended with a rotating cap. These have changeable collets and I do find that some bits don't fit any of them. One is branded Proedge.
The ones I've use for years are double ended with a small and large end. One is branded X-Acto. I keep these permanently filled -- a 2-56 drill in one end and a 00-90 drill in the other (can't remember the ##). The other one has the two taps.
Even with this, I sometimes find a drill slipping in the collet.
The single ended ones are more comfortable to use and I can apply pressure to the cap.

The collet is supposed to squeeze tighter as the thingy is tightened. This allows it to take a range of drills.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I have about 10 different ones right now and none of them are what I would call top of the line price wise but they all hold the bits just fine I have a small drill press that I am using more and more because I am not steady. I took DrWaynes advise and do not chuck the bits up short and that does keep me from breaking them so often.  Some of the collets need to be spread a bit to make the bigger bits fit.  I no longer use a pin vise for my 2-56 tap and the drill for that size because I found I can do a much better job with my power screw driver.  attach a picture of the collet end of your vices and we can see if there is something else we can recommend.  Kadee and Micromart are good quality tools so there may be something that needs to be done. 

Charlie
I will attach a picture when I get home and get them unpacked. I’m still working for a couple more weeks. Trying to get these working has been a big roadblock to getting stuff done so hopefully we can figure something out.
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
for a good cheap pin vice go to a welding supply shop and get a set of tip drills the ones I've got will hold down to a 73 or 74. the plus side is most come with 12 drills from 54 down to 72.

Jim