A Canadian collector
I have a friend that live in Edmonton, AB, and wants to buy an HO steam engine for someone that collects, but doesn't run them. She thought this one might be appropriate but isn't sure since she knows nothing about trains. I told her that I would ask you guys if you thought this was a reasonable collectible and if it was worth the asking price as such. She also asked if any of you had any suggestions beyond buying this one.

HO steam engine on Etsy

Here is a quote from her message:

"It isn't for someone who collects trains or uses tracks like you guys do.  Just for someone that has a real love for the old steam locomotives and I am trying to find something special as a unique gift.  So if they could even recommend something else that might be even more appreciated or recognized as having collector value - since I know nothing about these! - I would welcome the suggestions."

I'd appreciate if any of you would let me know what I can tell her about the value of this as a collector's item, or if you can suggest something more appropriate.

Thanks....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Hi Don---the locomotive pictured is actually a model of a READING RR prototype 2-8-0 Cosolidation---certainly not anything related to Canadian railroads even though the tender is lettered for Canadian Pacific.There may be better options but price is a big concern---if possible could you inquire into your friend's price range and I will try to help find something more appropriate.
(09-16-2022, 04:53 PM)cn nutbar Wrote: Hi Don---the locomotive pictured is actually a model of a READING RR prototype 2-8-0 Cosolidation---certainly not anything related to Canadian railroads even though the tender is lettered for Canadian Pacific.There may be better options but price is a big concern---if possible could you inquire into your friend's price range and I will try to help find something more appropriate.

Thanks Ed, I would have had no clue as that not being CP stock, that's why I asked. I sent her a message and I'll let you know what she says.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That loco is a fairly old Bachmann , with a pancake-type motor.  I have one of those, and it's actually not a bad runner (even though it took a 4' dive to the basement floor on a previous layout).

Here's a view of the loco, semi-stripped-down of some detail parts.

As best as I can recall, this loco cost about $15.00.

Wayne
I get regular notifications from LEHobbies, in Illinois, and a recent one showed lots of Canadian brass locos.

Here's a LINK to their site.

Wayne
Thanks again guys, she told me that she is grateful for your saving her from buying something that wasn't "authentic". She will get back to me on what she can afford, but I kind of doubt that those brass ones will make the cut. I just know this woman causally, sounds though that her friend is a train collector since she says he doesn't run trains.

I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from her again...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
This is what she sent me, I don't suppose she's going to get much for that, I'm not sure she's even scale specific since her friend doesn't even run trains, just collects.

Quote:Hi Don, thanks! I would love to get hold of something authentic from Canadian Pacific that is a steam locomotive. Again, not for a track system, just a special gift for someone who has a passion for them. If $50 would get me something decent, that would be great!

If her price range is unrealistic, I'll let her know, but if you can find something close, say under $100 ($CA), and not pristine, I'll pass it on to her.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
For the record most people I know consider Bachmann to have zero collector value.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hi Don---I think your friend will have a hard time trying to find any type of model for $50. I have tried using GOOGLE for any sites that sell model trains without any luck and when you look at shipping costs added with possible duty for imports those costs may exceed the value of the model itself.
(09-18-2022, 12:30 PM)cn nutbar Wrote: Hi Don---I think your friend will have a hard time trying to find any type of model for $50. I have tried using GOOGLE for any sites that sell model trains without any luck and when you look at shipping costs added with possible duty for imports those costs may exceed the value of the model itself.

Thanks Ed, I've told her as much, I saw a few things on eBay that were around $50, but I can image their condition, plus I'm easily fooled when it comes to any rolling stock since that is not my prime concern in this hobby, that's why I asked you guys.

I appreciate your help, the ball is in her court now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Got a message from my friend who asked to thank you guys for your help. She decided to buy her collector friend a train picture rather than a model. A very safe choice and within her budget.

I also thank you for your help. Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and