Durango & Silverton
Took the tourist trip on the Durango & Silverton. We got lucky, this was the only day this week that it didn't rain. We also brought heavy jackets but it wasn't that cold. We did see snow, but high on some hills.

We left Durango as a double-header (480/473) steam until we got to the top of hill and took on water, then 480 went ahead because of the weight restrictions on one trestle. We then went double-header  into Silverton. On the way back, 473 took us all the way. We followed the river and at one point was 400 feet above it, and many times was so close to the edge, all we could see when we looked down was water. In many places, the rocks were shored up by old rails and bailing wire. At one point the engines let off steam. Seems like they use river water and need to get rid of the sediment that collects in the boiler.

All-in-all, the ride was a good one, a bit cramped since it was narrow gauge. The scenery was exceptional if you like hills and trees, which I do. The trip is about 3 1/2 hours each way. They stop running steam for the winter late October, and only go half way until Spring.

Here are some shots I took. My friend took some shots with me in them, but I couldn't believe I looked that decrepit and so I won't scare you all by posting any of those....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
In Durango, leaving as a double-header:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Some scenery along the way with 473:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.  I saw a wonderful movie of the trip taken in the 70's by Bruce Manwiller and though I liked the movie, I will never ride that train because I have extreme vertigo. I am glad you had a wonderful trip. 
Charlie
Some shots of how close we were to the edges of the hill and water:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
A few shots in Silverton including some old cars and 480 parked on a siding:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Great shots!!
Glad you had a good time....

I'm guessing you have heard this song... I love it!!!!
C. W. McCAll - The SIlverton:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJz...e&ie=UTF-8
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Those shots remind me of the John Denver song "Rocky Mountain High".
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Great photos, Don. Looks like a great time.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks guys, it was well worth the time and cost. Just a few facts and opinions:
  • There's just over 45 miles of track, all laid in nine months back in 1881. That's amazing when there are so many cuts through solid rock.
  • The tracks run parallel to the river most of the way and switches sides about halfway. There are many good photo ops of the river and many rapids. I think they have Kayak races through the rapids in the spring when there's a lot of runoff.
  • It was cool but not cold. Many peaks around Silverton had snow on them, you can see it in one of the photos I posted.
  • There's only two hours turn around at Silverton, just about enough time to get a hamburger (there had to be about 150 in line at the one hamburger restaurant). Not a heck of a lot to see up there anyway.
  • One very large disappointment was that we asked about tours of the maintenance shop and the gal told us it was $6.00 and to show up at 10:30. We were there at 10:00 to get our tickets and the clerk said they were booked up and to come back tomorrow, except that our train was leaving at 9:00 tomorrow. Icon_cry Their website doesn't say anything about the tour, so best to get tickets in advance somehow....
  • Skip the Chinese food and BBQ restaurants in Durango, lots of other good food there, but not these. Guess how I know this... Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I'm trying to decide if I should show these photos to my wife. She's a little worried about railways that are hanging on the edge of a cliff.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
(10-09-2022, 07:08 PM)BR60103 Wrote: I'm trying to decide if I should show these photos to my wife.  She's a little worried about railways that are hanging on the edge of a cliff.

Well, as far as I know, they haven't lost anybody or any equipment in 140 years of operation. Icon_rolleyes I had to open the window to get those shots, just tell her not to stick her head out of the window and look down. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
glad you enjoyed the trip. last time i was on that ride the rio gran still owned it as a side point the C&T is a better trip though the last time i made it was in the fall of 71.
(10-10-2022, 07:39 PM)jim currie Wrote: glad you enjoyed the trip. last time i was on that ride the rio gran still owned it as a side point the C&T is a better trip though the last time i made it was in the fall of 71.

Yeah, the C&T is on our radar. Still, the D&S goes through some really beautiful country.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Don,

you did it! Icon_e_smile 

Thank you for posting the impressive pictures.

Lutz