Car repair question
I’ve received good car advice here, so here I am with another car question...

Our 2012 Mazda3 needed new shocks and sway bars last June. This was diagnosed by our Mazda dealer but their prices are too high.

So I took it to a local garage (which I’ve trusted & used for decades) and had shocks/swaybars replaced for a reasonable price. For years, this car has also had an annoying rattling noise coming from the back left (driver’s side). To my frustration, this noise remained even after the shocks/swaybar repair. 

About 7-10 days ago, we noticed some minor swaying when the car hit bumps. The rattling noise was still there but worse. 

So I took it to a mechanic friend who had a look at it. Immediately, he said the driver’s side shock had blown and the swaybars were shot. We both concluded I should take it back to the garage so they could repair it under warranty, which they did. The amazing thing is that the annoying rattling noise is now completely gone! (It was obviously caused by the loose swaybar.)

So, if they had properly fixed the shocks/swaybars in the first place in June, logically the rattling noise should have disappeared then as well. So my question is: How likely is it that this garage did nothing to fix the shock/swaybars at all back in June? 

Thanks in advance,
Rob
you wouldn't be the first one to be ripped off by a o we fixed that mechanic.
Jim
Yes, I'm sure you're right.
(10-23-2023, 09:50 PM)jim currie Wrote: you wouldn't be the first one to be ripped off by a o we fixed that mechanic.
Jim

Thanks, Jim.
Had a mechanic tell me one day that if I customer came in and said that the the Flux Capacitor linkage needed to be replaced, he would do it regardless if it fixed the problem or not. If it didn't, he would say, "I did what you asked me to do". However, if the customer said that the rear end of his vehicle was going, "rattle, rattle, bang bang" and please repair it, he would do what was needed. The point is, let him do the diagnosing if you want to fix your vehicle. In your case, it sounds like maybe he replaced the shocks with a defective one. That happens. I have a friend that has had an idler pulley replaced four times, all under warranty.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(10-24-2023, 08:36 AM)ezdays Wrote: Had a mechanic tell me one day that if I customer came in and said that the the Flux Capacitor linkage needed to be replaced, he would do it regardless if it fixed the problem or not. If it didn't, he would say, "I did what you asked me to do". However, if the customer said that the rear end of his vehicle was going, "rattle, rattle, bang bang" and please repair it, he would do what was needed. The point is, let him do the diagnosing if you want to fix your vehicle. In your case, it sounds like maybe he replaced the shocks with a defective one. That happens. I have a friend that has had an idler pulley replaced four times, all under warranty.

Thanks, Don. I suspect you're right. Glad you know someone who can fix Flux Capacitors. :-)
Rob