My Z scale layouts from start to ??? - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: My Z scale layouts from start to ??? (/showthread.php?tid=338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - sailormatlac - 08-24-2012

Thumbs up Catt! That looks pretty cool ans realistic to boot!! I'm curious how this street and ravine look in street view.

Matt

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - faraway - 08-25-2012

A nice extension. Are all the buildings and trees removable? I was concerned when everything was gone for the extension but it's all back now and something more.

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 08-25-2012

Reinhard,everthing but the bushes is removed for transport.The layout spends most of it's travel time on edge so there is room for everything else in the van.Once I get the new layout built this one gets set up permanently at home and will grow some more on the wide end.As is right now there is no room in the van for a longer layout. Sometimes we haul 3 layouts to show plus their equiptment ( locos freightcars buildings and vehicles).

The layout is 5'8 long,the wide end is 32" wide and the narrow end is 24" at the wide part.

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 09-20-2012

Insignificant update,but still some sign of progress in Zeetown. Those LPP can be soooo slow when there of a mind to be. :mrgreen:

Anyway here's a pic of the first business in town to actually get a company name on their building. Eek

[Image: onesign1.jpg]

Except for the windows and doors the building is totally scratchbuilt.Windows and doors are RS Laser Kits product (a real company in Oregon) which incidently is the second company to get signs on their building (I hope Rich doesn't mind being moved to Michigan )

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 09-22-2012

Nuther small update,this time RSLaser Co.

[Image: rslco1.jpg]

From the other way.

[Image: rslco2.jpg]

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 12-31-2012

Got a couple more industries with names on them finally.

[Image: arcurtis1.jpg]

[Image: kellett1.jpg]

Still need to do the stores but I need to find some different font/decals or the signs will look like the town sign painter only has one stencil in his paint box.

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 01-10-2013

The Z layout now has a new home where it can remain set up for anytime I want to run it.It is now the official Z scale layout of my multi-scale club the Grand River Valley RR Club.We are West Michigan's newest club and the only multi-scale club in the area.The layout will remain where it is in the picture except when we are going to a show.The layout is still very much mine, and still very much a ongoing project even though there is a new show layout in the planning stage. :mrgreen:

[Image: newhome1.jpg]

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 01-31-2013

Another pic from a different angle showing the layout lighting.These lights are temporary till I can find the ones I really want.The next major revision of the layout will see an extension that make this part 6'8"along this wall.There will be an extension going to the right that will increase the length there to 7'.The two pieces will be keyed together so that they always go back together with the same alignment with the track pieces running right to the edges of the interlocking layout sections.

[Image: newhome2.jpg]

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Tyson Rayles - 02-01-2013

Catt that's the nicest Z scale layout I've ever seen !
Worship Thumbsup Cheers Worship Thumbsup Cheers

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 02-02-2013

Quote:Catt that's the nicest Z scale layout I've ever seen !

Thanks Mike.I've been planning to do that skyboard for over a year.Now that it is mounted I want to kick my butt for not doing it sooner. Eek

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Tyson Rayles - 02-02-2013

It does help to keep the eyes focused on the layout and not whatever is behind it.

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 02-11-2013

One of three new toys (GP38-2s) just purchased for the layout recently.The other two are another CSX unit and a undecorated one to do up for my Grand Valley Railway.

[Image: gp38-2-1.jpg]

[Image: gp38-2-2.jpg]

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Sumpter250 - 02-11-2013

Catt Wrote:Reinhard,everything but the bushes is removed for transport.The layout spends most of it's travel time on edge so there is room for everything else in the van.

When I transport the new modules to shows, all the boats/ships, are put in their own "containers' to prevent damage.
All those "containers", take up "A LOT OF SPACE". ( almost as much as the three 30" X 48" modules )
Where the modules are transported in a "normal attitude", the buildings are fine, being glued down with Siliconized Acrylic Calk, which remains flexible, and absorbs some of the "shocks". The adjustable "hold downs", keep the modules solidly on the floor of the trailer, and further reduce the "shocks".

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 02-14-2013

The problem with transporting the Z is that it has to be flipped 90 degrees ,taken through a doorway and imediately stood on end pivoted 90 degrees again and carried down a fairly long hallway through a door to the outside where it can be turned flat again to be carried up a ramp to transportation (no more stairs yipee!) Here is a rather crude drawing of the layout with the planned extention.Keep in mind that these will be seperate pieces simply clamped to gether .Dimentions willbe in this form 6'8" X 7 ' 6".The origonal layout will still be able to be used as a stand alone layout.

[Image: zplan-1.jpg]

New layout willbe modular with modules being 30 "wide (or 28") by 36" long. First parts to be built will be the end loops which will give me a 6' long loop that I can use for shows while building the rest of the layout.

Re: My Z scale layout from start to - Catt - 04-27-2013

Current state of affairs,or how the layout looks now. :mrgreen: Cloud work is by my friend Michael Harris.He will get another shot at it when I extend the layout and install a 2" taller backdrop.

[Image: o-h-2.jpg]