SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Remembering Our Fallen Flag Members (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Sumpter250 (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Thread: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender (/showthread.php?tid=1091)

Pages: 1 2

SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-12-2009

I finally set up a scene in which to Photograph the Mantua 2-6-6-2, as a 2-6-6-2T with tender, and some of the log cars.
Yes, the diorama is the O scale diorama, but it works well enough. First, the loco:    
Next, the reworked IHC Barnhart loader and a log flat, both flats are IHC, with the decks removed, and rails laid for the Barnhart:    
The next shot is a pair of the ERTL flats, converted to log flats:    
And Last, the Shinnecock Hills Lumber Company caboose:    

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Jesso - 04-12-2009

That is a really nice looking engine and a very nice scene to film it on! Thanks for sharing! I love the detail that you can get at that scale.

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Mileswestern - 04-13-2009

Who makes that caboose? it's quite a nice design.

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-13-2009

Quote:Who makes that caboose? it's quite a nice design.
That was an old Gloorcraft kit, wood and cast metal. It was supposed to be a D&H caboose, but not the one I wanted, so it became an SHLC caboose, and I scratchbuilt the D&H.
I mentioned that the diorama was intended for O scale but the models are HO...just in case there's any question.

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - doctorwayne - 04-13-2009

Very nice work, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup The loco, the re-worked cars, and the diorama, too, and all beautifully photographed.

Wayne

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-13-2009

Quote:and all beautifully photographed.
Wayne,Thanks.
I had just the right combination of natural sunlight, bright light from left overhead, and a filler light from low right. It was the bit of natural sunlight that really made the difference.

(a little "brightness", "contrast", and "intensity" corrections helped. Wink )

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - OBJack - 04-13-2009

Those photos are magical Sumpter, very lifelike and professional with that great lighting effect. Worship

Are those logs real wood, because they certainly look the part?

Jack 219

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-15-2009

Quote:Are those logs real wood, because they certainly look the part?

Actually, I have this friend, who is a Hollywood special effects make up artist, and..... Icon_lol
Yeah Jack, they're the trunks and limbs from some bushes around the area.
I'm really liking the way the backdrop adds to the photo, not bad for a cheap framed print. I might have to check out the "home furnishings sections" of the local Target/Walmart/Menards,/etc. to see if there is something better for that diorama, and leave the original on the wall where it belongs.

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - nachoman - 04-15-2009

Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:Are those logs real wood, because they certainly look the part?

Actually, I have this friend, who is a Hollywood special effects make up artist, and..... Icon_lol
Yeah Jack, they're the trunks and limbs from some bushes around the area.
I'm really liking the way the backdrop adds to the photo, not bad for a cheap framed print. I might have to check out the "home furnishings sections" of the local Target/Walmart/Menards,/etc. to see if there is something better for that diorama, and leave the original on the wall where it belongs.

I was going to ask you about the backdrop - but you already answered that! Icon_lol What about the reeds in the river?

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-15-2009

Quote:I was going to ask you about the backdrop - but you already answered that! Icon_lol What about the reeds in the river?
Woodland scenics "field grass". http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96109&page=4 is the beginning of the building of the diorama, so you can see how it evolved.

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Herc Driver - 04-16-2009

Very nice! Really nice work on the creek bed.

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Bigsteel - 04-17-2009

very nice work Thumbsup ,the diorama is very convincing,and of course your amazing 2-6-6-2T :mrgreen: --josh

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-17-2009

For all the great comments, thanks! Big Grin Cheers

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - nomad - 04-17-2009

Adding the tender really adds to the effect. Thumbsup
I am curious about the lead and trailing trucks on the loco. The ones that came with mine look real cheesy compared to those. Are those aftermarket ?

Loren

Re: SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender - Sumpter250 - 04-18-2009

Those are the original lead and trailing truck frames, I changed wheels so I could get a little more electrical pick up. The trucks are the same as the 3' gauge Uintah/Sumpter Valley locos, that Mantua modeled their loco after, in standard gauge.