SHLC 101 2-6-6-2T w/ tender
I finally set up a scene in which to Photograph the Mantua 2-6-6-2, as a 2-6-6-2T with tender, and some of the log cars.
Yes, the diorama is the O scale diorama, but it works well enough. First, the loco:    
Next, the reworked IHC Barnhart loader and a log flat, both flats are IHC, with the decks removed, and rails laid for the Barnhart:    
The next shot is a pair of the ERTL flats, converted to log flats:    
And Last, the Shinnecock Hills Lumber Company caboose:    
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
That is a really nice looking engine and a very nice scene to film it on! Thanks for sharing! I love the detail that you can get at that scale.
Scott
Who makes that caboose? it's quite a nice design.
Quote:Who makes that caboose? it's quite a nice design.
That was an old Gloorcraft kit, wood and cast metal. It was supposed to be a D&H caboose, but not the one I wanted, so it became an SHLC caboose, and I scratchbuilt the D&H.
I mentioned that the diorama was intended for O scale but the models are HO...just in case there's any question.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Very nice work, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup The loco, the re-worked cars, and the diorama, too, and all beautifully photographed.

Wayne
Quote:and all beautifully photographed.
Wayne,Thanks.
I had just the right combination of natural sunlight, bright light from left overhead, and a filler light from low right. It was the bit of natural sunlight that really made the difference.

(a little "brightness", "contrast", and "intensity" corrections helped. Wink )
Those photos are magical Sumpter, very lifelike and professional with that great lighting effect. Worship

Are those logs real wood, because they certainly look the part?

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Quote:Are those logs real wood, because they certainly look the part?

Actually, I have this friend, who is a Hollywood special effects make up artist, and..... Icon_lol
Yeah Jack, they're the trunks and limbs from some bushes around the area.
I'm really liking the way the backdrop adds to the photo, not bad for a cheap framed print. I might have to check out the "home furnishings sections" of the local Target/Walmart/Menards,/etc. to see if there is something better for that diorama, and leave the original on the wall where it belongs.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:Are those logs real wood, because they certainly look the part?

Actually, I have this friend, who is a Hollywood special effects make up artist, and..... Icon_lol
Yeah Jack, they're the trunks and limbs from some bushes around the area.
I'm really liking the way the backdrop adds to the photo, not bad for a cheap framed print. I might have to check out the "home furnishings sections" of the local Target/Walmart/Menards,/etc. to see if there is something better for that diorama, and leave the original on the wall where it belongs.

I was going to ask you about the backdrop - but you already answered that! Icon_lol What about the reeds in the river?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Quote:I was going to ask you about the backdrop - but you already answered that! Icon_lol What about the reeds in the river?
Woodland scenics "field grass". http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.p...109&page=4 is the beginning of the building of the diorama, so you can see how it evolved.
Very nice! Really nice work on the creek bed.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
very nice work Thumbsup ,the diorama is very convincing,and of course your amazing 2-6-6-2T :mrgreen: --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
For all the great comments, thanks! Big Grin Cheers
Adding the tender really adds to the effect. Thumbsup
I am curious about the lead and trailing trucks on the loco. The ones that came with mine look real cheesy compared to those. Are those aftermarket ?

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Those are the original lead and trailing truck frames, I changed wheels so I could get a little more electrical pick up. The trucks are the same as the 3' gauge Uintah/Sumpter Valley locos, that Mantua modeled their loco after, in standard gauge.