CNJ 4-8-0 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: CNJ 4-8-0 (/showthread.php?tid=1785)

Pages: 1 2 3

CNJ 4-8-0 - e-paw - 09-25-2009

I am trying to get my scratch/bashed camelback finished for a north east prototype meet in October. I have bin working on it now off and on for about 5 years now Nope . The valve gear is my biggest sticking point. It has held up completion for almost 2 years. Constant binding and a few Walschaert explosions have caused me to put it down and walk away from it for months at a time, I believe this is try #4. I came across a book called Locomotive Valves and Valve Gears, by Yonder+Wharen. It is filled with info on this subject, perfect for what I need. I was working from old pictures, mostly at a 3/4 roster shot kind of angles, and my only measured drawings did not show the valve gear. I had to do a best guess at the sizes. After reading this book I found that my link was to large and radius rod were to long.I have cut down my radius rods and am now retooling the links. I also have to redo the valve gear hanger.

Here is the hog as it is today, I cut back the radius rods about 4 inches and re installed them on the combination lever.

This is a pic from the book showing there drawing and my reworked links next to them.

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - doctorwayne - 09-25-2009

Nice work, Steve, and nice to see someone doing this kind of work, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

That wheel arrangement wasn't too widely used, as far as I know, although the Norforlk & Western seemed to like them well-enough. Wink Goldth
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos071.jpg]

Wayne

CNJ 4-8-0 - e-paw - 09-26-2009

Yea Doc. The central ordered 47 of them from Brooks in 1899-1901. They were the only camelbacks built in this wheel arrangement. They even rebuilt 24 of them in 1945, but all were scraped by 1951.
Today's project.... 2285_ Lets build a valve gear hanger. 2285_

The K-1's had a very distinctive hanger , I'll use brass because I can press rivets and bend the angles. It will also be stronger than plastic.

I took some measurements, marked out the brass, and cut a rough shape.

I need to cut out the centers of the roughly triangular portions of the hanger so I drilled some small holes in the aria that I have to remove and then I'll file the rest out. So that I don't destroy the thin brass I took a block of wood and cut a slit in it with a razor saw. I can slip the hanger in it and it will hold the hanger nicely so I won't mangle it as I file.

Here you can see a pic of the prototype hanger and the one that I cut. It definitely stands out as an important detail in the character of the loco, I am trying to capture the same look.

CNJ 4-8-0 - e-paw - 09-26-2009

Here's the hanger after some filling and rivet punching.

I bent the angles and drilled the hole for the link to get riveted to it. Next I gave it a test mount. Pretty happy with this one so far. Still needs some fitting to get it in right.

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - jglfan - 09-27-2009

Man, that is impressive! I've rivited valve gear supplied with kits, but never considered scratchbuilding them. The loco looks fantastic, I hope you bring it to the show 10/3

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - toptrain - 09-27-2009

** Steve the 4-8-0 is realy looking good. That hanger came out well. I have alot of old photos of it being built. If you want them they are yours. Can't wate to see it run.
pop

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - Steamtrains - 09-27-2009

As I was looking through the pictures of your hanger fabrication...I thought "That's fine...But how's he gonna make that teensy hole for the rivet..??" A little further down...there it was..!! Amazing what you guys do.... Eek

Fantastic job..!!!

Maybe this thread will get me to pull out a 2-8-2 kit that's been in "mothballs" for a couple of years and get cracking on it.... Goldth

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - jim currie - 09-27-2009

doctorwayne Wrote:That wheel arrangement wasn't too widely used, as far as I know, although the Norforlk & Western seemed to like them well-enough. Wink Goldth
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos071.jpg]

Wayne

Ill say so Doc they list 286 of them in 3 classes with three additional sub classes for the N&W. only 10 roads ordered if the info i have is correct.

great looking build ,though love odd locos my self Steve.fyi the DL&W had 5 of them .
jim

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - Sumpter250 - 09-28-2009

I knew of the N&W Mastodons, and there were narrow gauge versions, but I hadn't heard of the CNJ's "herd" (they're Mastodons, they exist in herds). I'll have to look for
"Locomotive Valves and Valve Gears", by Yonder+Wharen, looks like it would be a very interesting addition to my "technical reference library".
Nice build-up, can't wait to see it complete, and know it runs well.

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - jim currie - 09-28-2009

Pete here is the list of roads that had them new B&M 18, BR&P 46, CI&L 22, D&H 1,DM&IR 6,GN 60, MP 19, NYC 11 N&W 286 and N deM 6 also two roads had them as camelbacks CNJ 51 and DL&W 20 there were other roads the had some used mostly from N&W. Listings are from the Drury book.

jim

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - tetters - 09-28-2009

That engine sure looks neat. Looking forward to the rest of this project. Thumbsup

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - Sumpter250 - 09-29-2009

jim currie Wrote:Pete here is the list of roads that had them new B&M 18, BR&P 46, CI&L 22, D&H 1,DM&IR 6,GN 60, MP 19, NYC 11 N&W 286 and N deM 6 also two roads had them as camelbacks CNJ 51 and DL&W 20 there were other roads the had some used mostly from N&W. Listings are from the Drury book.
jim
Thanks Jim, I love it when I learn something new........D&H had 1.....Hmmmmm. I wonder if it had the extra wide Wootten firebox used on so many D&H locos? That might be worthy of a major kit/scratch bash project.

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - jim currie - 09-29-2009

fallen flags site has a photo of her and it would be a real chalange from the photo looks like it might be a watertube boiler with two sets of cylinders connected to the same driver and a strange looking set up on the tender. look it up you will love it .
jim

Pete found a bit of info on her built in 33 it had 500psi bolier pressure it was a four cylinder triple expansion coumpound 63 inch drivers the 6 wheel rear truck on the tender was fitted with a booster engine had a TE of 108,00 lb. no total weight was in the info. :o

PS sorry for hijacking you fine build thread E-Paw

CNJ 4-8-0 - e-paw - 09-29-2009

I got the fireman's side put together,,,,And for the first time NO BINDS 2285_ Cheers Thumbsup Big Grin 357 35 . YEA!    

I cant say that I had the same luck with the other side. During erecting I broke the link Wallbang Curse Nope :o :evil: Eek . I tried to solder it back together and hopefully tomorrow I can file away the excess solder and re drill the hole.     Now on top of that I also ran out of rivets. I can get more rivets (I hope soon), but to find another link is unlikely to imposable(I hope the solder works). They came from some one's junk box and I had to modify them to work for this project. I don't think I'll have it repaired for Saturdays meet. but I'll take it any way.

No problem Jim I had no idea that there were other camelback 4-8-0's.

Re: CNJ 4-8-0 - jim currie - 09-29-2009

if this link will work PM me your address the link is .527 in long looks close to yours. also a hint i was told a long time ago about riviting valve gear was to put a piece of onion skin paper between the pices to be rivited it can be removed after by wetting it or heating it .
jim