Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-17-2010

Hello Big Blue.
I managed to get my counter built in the model building room and the door is installed and the Oak trim is made and installed.
We also got the driveway in good shape, but need some fine limestone to top it off.
Hope to do some varnishing tomorrow and may do some more joint compound.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 06-17-2010

Both projects look great. Your yard looks great, too!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-17-2010

I like your workbench - nice! It'll be good to have a workbench right at the layout. For me, I'll leave the workbench in my "mancave" in the house... which may make for alot of trips back and forth. Sad

You're making great progress Charlie. Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 06-18-2010

I like your "man-cave"....Is that laminate on top..??
Kind'a reminds me of my workbench...Except mine is right up against the layout framework...I even set up a control station so I can run a train while I "work"...Continuous running rocks..!!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-18-2010

Steamtrains Wrote:I like your "man-cave"....Is that laminate on top..??
Kind'a reminds me of my workbench...Except mine is right up against the layout framework...I even set up a control station so I can run a train while I "work"...Continuous running rocks..!!
The top is made of Marlite, inlaid in yellow pine. The trim is made from rough cut oak that I have had for years drying out.
I built a separate small room, 5X7 insulated from the building so I could use it all seasons without paying a fortune to keep it warm or cool. The house is so small I needed the extra space. I think it will be fine once it gets cluttered, and there is only room for 1 person when the door is closed.
Big project today was the first coat of varnish on the trim and door, and I had 2 more loads of #9 limestone tailgated on the driveway.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - OBJack - 06-20-2010

So many projects on the go Charlie...and it looks like they are all coming together nicely, although I don't think your modeling "bolt hole" would be big enough for my style of modeling. Misngth I need enough room to fit as much stuff as "The war Office" fits into her handbag.... and I don't think that space would cut the mustard. Big Grin
Once I start a project it seems to oooze out and get a life of its own.

If that is all your back yard I see, you are indeed a lucky fellow, it looks a fantastic space for your dogs, I hope you don't have to push your lawn mower to get it cut....

Can't wait to see the next developments.

Jack 219

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-20-2010

Jack, I have an acre of fairly level land, sloped just enough to run the water off.
I do mow with a ride on, which will have to be replaced, but I'm trying to squeeze as much from it as possible. The longer it lasts the bigger its replacement can be. Misngth
I actually started to assemble a P2K Mather stock car in the room last night.
I haven't got my permanent light up yet, because I haven't decided which way I'm going with the lights.
I finished all the trim yesterday and moved my modeling tools into the room. I think it will be just dandy.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-23-2010

Progress is being made. I have 96 square feet of ceiling left to finish, and then the walls. I decided I wanted to trowel the entire ceiling with joint compound to give an impression of plaster, and I'm pleased with the results. Of course I have the walls to do next, but they should be a breeze.
My son and his friend are installing the soffit and fascia and should finish tomorrow, With any kind of good luck I should be building benchwork in 2 weeks or less.
I'm going to use the area under the layout for storage too, so it will really open things up for me here until I get a garden shed built.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 06-23-2010

It's looking pretty cozy-homey in there, Charlie! I think I might be able to work in there! Maybe ... if you asked me nicely ... and twisted my arm. Big Grin 357 357 Icon_lol Icon_lol

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-23-2010

Yep, the workroom turned out real nice. Like biL said, a very comfortable place to work. Looking forward to you starting on the benchwork, Charlie.

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 06-24-2010

Cheers The layout building is really shaping up nicely, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup Your workshop looks just about right to me, too.

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-24-2010

doctorwayne Wrote:Cheers The layout building is really shaping up nicely, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup Your workshop looks just about right to me, too.

Wayne
Yes Wayne, the work room is small enough to clutter very fast, so I'll feel right at home. Misngth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 06-24-2010

Charlie, you might consider putting in a shelf or two on the left wall to get some of those storage boxes out of the way. That'll give you some extra space to clutter up when you're working....

Re: Charlie b's layout - ocalicreek - 06-24-2010

Personally, I like the RR lantern light fixture! Cheers

And ain't it amazing how a workbench, no matter how large, is quickly reduced to 2 square feet of actual modeling area?

Heh heh heh.... 357

Galen

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-24-2010

I have figured that the top foot completely around the train room will be a 1 foot deep shelf for all the magazines, books and other treasures that I want my kids to have to deal with after I'm gone.
As for the railroad lantern lamp, I will have 14 of them in the train room and I think I will swag 2 of them in the little room to have enough shadow free light for modeling. Each has one of the 23 watt lights that produce 100 watts of light, and from the camera light meter readings, they are not exaggerating one bit. I really like them, in fact we are incandescent lamp free, I even opted for the new fluorescent security lights and they do a great job.
I finished the ceiling today, now for the paint. I have to do something different, I'm getting burned out.
The guys finished the soffit and fascia today so it is looking good outside all but a few trim boards on the corners and around the windows. I was waiting for the soffit before I could do the corners and the window top trim.
Thanks for your interest guys. Hope we can all get together some time for a great operating session.
Charlie