Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-09-2010

I started building the frame for my benchwork this morning. I hope to have it framed today, but I am doing most of the cutting outside, and it is raining now, but just showers in the forecast. We need he rain.
I will post more pictures tonight.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-09-2010

Well the frame work is done, I need to do the bracing tomorrow, then I can start laying out the elevations. and build the backdrops.
I found Barney sober enough to take a shot or two. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-09-2010

Wow that looks like some sturdy benchwork!!! Goldth
I bet it feels good to actual work on the railroad!! :mrgreen:
Keep up the progress and keep the pictures coming

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 07-10-2010

Now we're talking, Charlie! You've accomplished alot in a short amount of time.

For the electricity to the layout, you'll run a circuit under the floor and up, right?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-10-2010

Gary S Wrote:Now we're talking, Charlie! You've accomplished alot in a short amount of time.

For the electricity to the layout, you'll run a circuit under the floor and up, right?
If you look in the picture you will see the wire for the electricity for the layout hanging from the ceiling. There will be a column that will hide it in the backdrop which will be "u" shaped around the center of the layout. It won't reach the ceiling everywhere, just along one leg.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 07-10-2010

I was wondering what that wire was for. Now I know!

Looking forward to more progress, Charile.

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 07-11-2010

Hello Charlie---all your hard work has payed off---your "train room" looks great Worship .Full steam ahead on the trackwork and scenery---looking forward to your progress Popcornbeer

BTW---have those Baldwin Centipedes arrived

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-11-2010

BTW---have those Baldwin Centipedes arrived[/quote]
No not yet, but they are still scheduled for this month.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-11-2010

I had a volunteer today so I took full advantage of him. Kevin (railcop) was over so we started on the backdrop. Made good progress.
I used Marlite because it already has a coating, and I figure it will be easier to paint, I know it was easy to bend.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 07-11-2010

It is amazing. A layout of that size requires real construction work. Looking forward to watch what you will do with all that space. Good luck!

Re: Charlie b's layout - ocalicreek - 07-12-2010

Charlie - have you got really long arms, or does that benchwork just look wide in pictures?

Galen

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-12-2010

ocalicreek Wrote:Charlie - have you got really long arms, or does that benchwork just look wide in pictures?

Galen
Galen, I have short arms, and the bench work is 80 inches in total width so I have to reach 38 inches to the backdrops most places. Once the scenery is on I shouldn't have to reach that often, the moving parts will be easily within reach, but I want broad curves so you have to sacrifice somewhere.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 07-12-2010

WoW...Real construction work is right..!! That's a LOT of sturdy benchwork..
Can't wait to see what goes on top..!!

BTW...Are those incandescent lights...?? The heat they generate will be substantial. If so, you might consider changing them to fluorescents. Not only will they cost much less to operate, they're also much cooler.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-12-2010

The lights are are 23 watt curlycue's (100 watt equivalent) . I only have one incandescent bulb on the property and it is a 3 watt night light that I haven't found an LED replacement for. These really give off a lot of nice light, they are the warmer colored ones, and it is a pleasure to work in the room, now all I need is more gas for myself. I'm about ready for a break from this. I do have other things that need done. :mrgreen:
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 07-12-2010

Carefull if you break one of those curlie-Q's ... as with all flourescents, they have mercury in them. A broken flouescent at Home Depot damn near requires a HazMat suit and EPA Super Site signs!

Edit: Fixed a couple of embarrassing spelling errors!