Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 07-12-2010

Wow Charlie! That's really taking shape quickly! Nice work on the backdrop construction. Like everyone else, I really like the lanterns! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 07-12-2010

Charlie B Wrote:now all I need is more gas for myself. I'm about ready for a break from this. I do have other things that need done. :mrgreen:
Charlie

Don't slow down now charlie! You're about caught up to me!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-20-2010

Well, in addition to having to buy a new mower, I spent a little time this morning running a rented concrete saw. I had to make a couple cuts in two large slabs I'm trying to save. have the neighbor (one of the many good ones) coming to do some digging for me and I'm going to have him try to move the slabs.
I have been busy with the layout too. doing some changes as I go, but it is getting to the point I know what it will look like, and I'm quite happy.
Here are a few more pictures. Not too much to explain yet, just cutting board and laying out the elevations.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - tomustang - 07-20-2010

Wow you're on the move Charlie, don't stop!

Re: Charlie b's layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-20-2010

Charlie,

Very very nice!!!
I am really impressed with what you have accomplished in such a short time. Keep up the great work and keep the photos rolling!!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 07-20-2010

Now that's progress! Looking forward to seeing more!

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 07-21-2010

Hi Charlie---you're really making progress---I can almost vision those Baldwin Centipedes at the head of a long string of coal hoppers

Re: Charlie b's layout - ocalicreek - 07-21-2010

Charlie B Wrote:
ocalicreek Wrote:Charlie - have you got really long arms, or does that benchwork just look wide in pictures?

Galen
Galen, I have short arms, and the bench work is 80 inches in total width so I have to reach 38 inches to the backdrops most places. Once the scenery is on I shouldn't have to reach that often, the moving parts will be easily within reach, but I want broad curves so you have to sacrifice somewhere.
Charlie

Very true. If you want the broad curves (and who doesn't!) then compromises have to be made. OR, access hatches have to be planned, built, hidden, etc.

Lookin' good!

Galen

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-22-2010

Hi Blue,
I have all the elevations established and I'm cutting and laying roadbed. I even put a few sections of track together (not spiked) and ran a locomotive just to run a locomotive.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-22-2010

I SEE TRACK....

CONGRAGULATIONS Cheers Cheers Cheers

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-23-2010

Hello friends.
I did the math today and made templates for all of the curves. As much as I tried to avoid it I will have one curve that is only 24 inch radius. I will have 3 other tracks around the same curve so if I have to restrict some equipment I can run it on the other tracks around the curve.
I'm cutting my own roadbed too, just to do it. I'm using 1/4 in luan plywood. I have used this before with great results, it just takes a little time to cut, and I do have time.
It is hot here, but the train shed stays cool almost all day if I get the doors open early in the morning and draw in what cool air there is.
A good friend stopped by today and donated a huge wooden trestle for my canyon. It will fit right in, I'm tickled to have it. That will be the first sceniced area on the pike.
Thanks for taking the time to follow along. I even sent a visitor from our White dog lovers yahoo group here to check it out.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-26-2010

I have all the roadbed cut and laid so I started to lay some track. The area I'm working will be a 4 track main line. Here are some pictures, with a train on display too. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 07-26-2010

WOWZER Charlie! You're really getting a lot done!!!! That is gonna be one impressive layout with those long runs! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 07-26-2010

CHARLIE! Wonderful progress! And a looooong train!

Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-26-2010

Charlie,

Looks great!!
isn't it noce to have a train on the layout even if for display Thumbsup

Keep up the reat work!! and congrats on a great start Cheers