Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 09-09-2010

Gus, there is about 500 feet of track laid and about another 150 to lay in the yard. As for locomotives, I have plenty, I really don't know how many, but there are 12 steam and 13 early diesels DCC equipped. Many others straight DC. At least 125 total, but some too new for my model era but my kids like the newer stuff as well as the grand kids and great grand kids so I have it for them to run when they come.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 09-09-2010

I enjoyed the "Barney Secord" views, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup 357

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 09-09-2010

Absolutely! The overhead views really show the layout in all its glory. And it is definitely a large layout, with plenty of room to sit back and watch'em run. Very cool!

Now... 125 locos!!!! Woah! Confusedhock:

Re: Charlie b's layout - tetters - 09-10-2010

Your layout looks kinda tiny. :?

Misngth

Re: Charlie b's layout - Justinmiller171 - 09-10-2010

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers...................... Wink

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 09-18-2010

Hi Gang,
Time for some more pictures. I had a VIP coming so I had to do some cleaning and organizing. The layout is coming around now.
I needed a boost to get me moving
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 09-19-2010

Charlie, no doubt that layout is going to be terrific for running trains, trains, and more trains! Great to see the progress photos.

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 09-19-2010

It's even more impressive than the photos can show, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

The trains were running pretty nicely when I was there, but I missed the arrival of any VIPs.

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 09-19-2010

Hi Wayne, I'm glad you made it home. Now you can post some pictures.
I actually did some ballasting today. I wanted to use cinder on the branch lines and while I was at tractor supply yesterday I saw a sandblasting abrasive that was finer than Black Beauty so for $7.95 I got a fifty pound bag. It is exactly the right size grit, and is black like cinder, but the advantage is it is washed so no dust. I ran a magnet in it just to be sure, and there were no iron particles. It looks pretty good. Pictures to follow. They have it is various grits too.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 09-20-2010

All right you two. Sad

Now, don't take this wrong, because it is just sort of a "Texas kind of thing" but this is one of the only times I have ever wished I lived up in the north. No fair that y'all get to visit each other!

Glad you two could get togehter and enjoy the good company. And Charlie, you have made some impressive progress, that is a huge amount of track to have laid! Question: Did you run some sound locos with DocWayne? Is he now thinking about going DCC on his layout? Wink

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 09-21-2010

Gary, we ran both, as I have one track set to do either DCC or DC.
I don't know what Wayne now thinks, but when we were at Bob B's house in Vandergrift he really got his ears bent about the virtues of DCC. Bob could be a salesman in a hobby shop. (he is the fellow that wouldn't have DCC and had all of the little do-dads that made the sound locos work on DC)
We didn't operate trains here, we just put some on and let them run. I turned off the sound so we could chat and we had a great visit.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 09-22-2010

Here are a couple of pictures of a branch line train setting some cars into a pickle plant. The track is ballasted with the blasting abrasive from Tractor Supply. It comes in 50 pound bags and was $7.95. I used the 40/80grit which is the finest. It is a great representation of cinder ballast.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - LFDRR - 09-23-2010

I've been following this since the start of the building build.

I cry every time as you get soooooo much done in such little time. Smile

My own layout is a lot smaller and it's taking me ages to get things done. Not sure if it's my speed that's the problem, cash is definately an obstacle but I will get there in the end.

As I meander slowly to my goal I am thankful for those such as yourself who give inspiration and ideas.

Great layout Charlie and thank-you.

Angie

Re: Charlie b's layout - tetters - 09-23-2010

LFDRR Wrote:I've been following this since the start of the building build.

I cry every time as you get soooooo much done in such little time. Smile

My own layout is a lot smaller and it's taking me ages to get things done. Not sure if it's my speed that's the problem, cash is definately an obstacle but I will get there in the end.

As I meander slowly to my goal I am thankful for those such as yourself who give inspiration and ideas.

Great layout Charlie and thank-you.

Angie

Just remember. It's not a race, so take all the time you think you need. Have fun too. Misngth

Re: Charlie b's layout - LFDRR - 09-23-2010

tetters Wrote:Just remember. It's not a race, so take all the time you think you need. Have fun too. Misngth
Hi Tetters

Oh I know it's not a race but bare baseboards are a daunting prospect. I'm enjoying the various ancilliary projects I'm also involved with such as scrathbuilding my signals and designing, etching and building my own block detectors and signalling circuits. I will take my time, and I'm making as much as I can rather than buy-and-place. It's nice watching it grow but another 24 hours in a day would be good Smile

Angie