Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-02-2010

Gary S Wrote:That is so cool! Never heard of spec sand.... 1500 pounds??? You'll not even come close to using all that, right? But at 5 bucks, you might as well stock up! And the size compared to the penny looks perfect for HO scale ballast.
I was lucky enough to find a splatter shield (that you put over a frying pan) that had a smaller mesh than window screen, so the larger is the window screen, and the finer is what goes through the splatter shield. The material being pre-washed has very little actual dust in it.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-08-2010

Here are a few pictures of the viaduct. On the back side I coated the foam with Dura-bond and then scribed the stone before I installed it. I figured it would look OK as no one will see it without craneing their neck out of joint. The front side I'm laying the stone plaster castings from top to bottom, I figured it was easier to make the top come out straight by starting there. It is all new to me. I wish I would have scribed the front too after seeing the pictures, but if the stonework looks too bad I can cover it too. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 10-08-2010

A four-track stone viaduct?!? Eek Eek Eek Eek That's epic! I love it when model railroaders dream big!

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 10-08-2010

And a pretty solid-looking big dream, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - OBJack - 10-16-2010

Shoot Charlie,..You been flying along since I have been here last.
Congratulations. I'm loving the trestle and the viaduct, adds some depth and "Bigness" to the scenes. Thumbsup
OK, now I'll go away and dream a bit more..

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 10-16-2010

Definitely BIG bridges! Looking good, Charlie.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-18-2010

I decided to give the small Linka stone the boot and as soon as I get the Durabond where I want it and straight I'll scribe it to resemble larger stone. I felt the stone in the Linka kits was just too small for such a large structure.
I've been insulating and dry walling my garage too, so not a lot of progress is being made on the layout, but winter is coming.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-14-2010

Wow, almost a month since I updated.
I guess not much noteworthy going on. We had such nice weather this week I took 3 days and got the final paint on the outside of the building. Now it is all the same color at least.
I installed 3 crossovers between the mains so the yards had access from both tracks in both directions, and all of the double track main is now ballasted which is about 60 feet of line, or half the layout. I still have 60 feet of 4 track main to ballast as well as 150 feet of branch line, then I will start the landscaping.
I had some cheap green latex paint so I painted the foundation, just to have something that looks a little better in pictures, and it will help until the real grass is applied.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 11-14-2010

That's ALOT of ballast! Will be great to see multiple looooong trains running! Smile

I've been having some computer issues too, this box is over 6 years old and I have lost 3 hard drives in the last 3 weeks. I have everything backed up, but I hate to have to buy a new computer and transfer everything. I built this one and may just build another one. I have a lot of hardware that probably won't work on seven so I may just build another XP machine. I've had good luck with XP, and done a lot of work on this thing.
Here is a picture of the building with the new paint. The trim will remain dark brown and the doors are supposed to be red as well as the window trim. I don't know about the red, but that was one of the PRR schemes.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - X 3829 - 11-14-2010

Charlie B Wrote:Wow, almost a month since I updated.
I guess not much noteworthy going on. We had such nice weather this week I took 3 days and got the final paint on the outside of the building. Now it is all the same color at least.
I installed 3 crossovers between the mains so the yards had access from both tracks in both directions, and all of the double track main is now ballasted which is about 60 feet of line, or half the layout. I still have 60 feet of 4 track main to ballast as well as 150 feet of branch line, then I will start the landscaping.
I had some cheap green latex paint so I painted the foundation, just to have something that looks a little better in pictures, and it will help until the real grass is applied.
nice work charlie Thumbsup
like that Buick placard at the wall, from ebay?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 11-14-2010

Nice ballasting work on those cool long stretches! It gets exciting at this point because things are looking like a real railroad. Say, what's happening with that PC U28B in the last picture of your track?!!

Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 11-14-2010

Charlie, the outside of the building is looking good too. I like the choice of colors. Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 11-14-2010

That is a great building.
Do you have heating installed? I remember from my trips passing trough Ohio a climate similar to Germany. You will do very "cool" model railroading in the winter otherwise.
Update: I did find the heating on one of the photos.

X 3829 Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote:Wow, almost a month since I updated.
nice work charlie Thumbsup
like that Buick placard at the wall, from ebay?
The Buick poster came from a supplier <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.buickfarm.com/home/MasterParts.asp?SortBy=SKU">http://www.buickfarm.com/home/MasterPar ... SortBy=SKU</a><!-- m -->
My dad was a Buick salesman from 1952 to 1958. I remembered the poster hanging on the showroom wall and searched for one, and I found it. so I just had to have it. I think it was the pictures of the ammunition and tanks that kept it in my memory.
The other poster I want was put out in 1952 I think by Women's Day magazine. It was the presidents of the U.S. Mine came with a sticker with Eisenhower and one with Stevenson because the 52 election hadn't been held yet. Sometimes you can see one on the wall in the police station on the Andy Griffin show reruns.