Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-18-2010

I managed to get the interchange track in for one of the two "short lines" that I will have, and it will act as a runaround track too. I raised a small area and added a track that will service some type of industry, I haven't decided what type yet but at least the track is there even though it is a 5% grade to get to it.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 11-19-2010

Geez, Charlie! You're gonna need a Shay or a Heisler or a Vulcan to get a short string of cars up that grade!

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 11-19-2010

5% at such a large layout? I am afraid you have no permission for more than 1.5% Wink Wolfgang has a nice area with a steep track http://www.westportterminal.de/thirdstreet.html. That might be a sound story to have 5%

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-19-2010

faraway Wrote:5% at such a large layout? I am afraid you have no permission for more than 1.5% Wink Wolfgang has a nice area with a steep track http://www.westportterminal.de/thirdstreet.html. That might be a sound story to have 5%
We have a spur about 20 miles from here that used to service some industries It was a 5% grade most of the way. It was a PRR line off of the main. There is another, though I don't think it is still active, that used to service a steel mill that was very steep too, probably a little steeper because it wasn't so long. This was off the P&LE, so I can get away with it, my grade is only 5 cars long, theirs was a mile or better.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-25-2010

Hello Guys,
It's about time for an update. I had one curve that I was not at all happy with. It had a minimum radius of 22 inches on the inside track, and was the tightest curve on the main. Last Friday I tore that up and added more width to the upper deck and broadened the curve. Now the minimum inside curve is 26.5 inch radius, and the outside has a 35 inch radius. It looks better and the bigger cars and locomotives look better.
I was unable to find any ties locally so I set up a jig on my scroll saw and made a couple hundred to place at all the remaining joints before I finish ballasting.
I have 45 feet of four track main left to finish ballasting, then I have about 150 feet of branch line to do. I think I am going to have some ballast left over.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 11-25-2010

You're making great progress, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup Looks like all the shovellin', tampin', and gluin' oughta be done before my next visit. Wink Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 11-25-2010

If you talk about ballasting it reminds me on serious work. There are lots of tracks hungry for ballast on your layout.
You might save some extra work if you paint the rails prior ballasting. It can be done afterwards but that is considerable more work. The many little ballast stones sitting on the ties can be easy cleaned up with a rotating steal brush in the Dremel. Just do not apply any force to the Dremel because the high speed rotating brush will melt the ties. That works so well you can cleanup 10' in less than 5 minutes.

You lucky man, great building, great layout, long tracks and long trains running!

Re: Charlie b's layout - rrinker - 11-25-2010

SO where did you get those railroad lantern light fixtures? Those are neat - great for the atmosphere in the room!

--Randy

Wayne, Good to see you posting, hope you are getting into the spirit once again. Hope you are perking up.
Reinhard, I have tried it both ways and prefer painting the rail last. The rust actually runs onto the ballast on the prototype so a little paint looks OK. As for cleaning the ballast from the ties I just need a quick trip with a 1/2 inch wide scrapper and it comes right off. I'm waiting to do that last, the only thing I'm being careful of now is to make sure none is stuck to the gauge side of the rail so my trains won't derail. I have to have a worker protection under train movement plan in place because someone always shows up to see the trains run.
Randy, I made the lights from the Family Dollar oil lanterns. they were $3.00 each, the nipples, sockets and nuts were about $2.50 each and the 23 watt bulbs were about $2.00 each. Everyone that has seen them likes them, and there is lots of light. with all of them on it is less than 325 watts.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - tetters - 11-25-2010

Good gravy that's a ton of ballast!!! I wish I had room for that size of layout, although at the rate I change my mind, I'd make track revisions every month and never even get to ballasting.

tetters Wrote:Good gravy that's a ton of ballast!!! I wish I had room for that size of layout, although at the rate I change my mind, I'd make track revisions every month and never even get to ballasting.
Actually, I only bought 3/4 of a ton. Icon_lol
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 11-25-2010

Looking great Charlie. Hey, when will y'all start getting snow?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-26-2010

Gary S Wrote:Looking great Charlie. Hey, when will y'all start getting snow?
Flurries are predicted this morning. 60 years ago today they predicted flurries too. We got 36 inches and the schools were closed for a week.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - tomustang - 11-26-2010

Charlie B Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:Looking great Charlie. Hey, when will y'all start getting snow?
Flurries are predicted this morning. 60 years ago today they predicted flurries too. We got 36 inches and the schools were closed for a week.
Charlie
I hear that, we had a 60% chance of rain today, there was a total of an inch of snow on the cars. I <3 accurate forecasts

Re: Charlie b's layout - tomustang - 11-26-2010

Charlie B Wrote:my layout....

Yep just damn, I know I haven't commented in here alot and well the reason is damn! Saying your progress is bad-a** every time you post another image would be too repetitive. I love the progress, love the concepts, love you can go all out more than most of us can with that size. Kudos to all your work Thumbsup Thumbsup