Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - JohnyBotto - 12-18-2010

The curve is looking great Charlie. You have done a lot of work, keep it going.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 12-30-2010

A little more plaster work today. It's finally a little warmer and the stuff was setting the way it should.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-01-2011

Well I started the year by going green on the layout. Having worked at a hydro-electric plant for 13 years, I though I should have one, so I got started today.
Here are some pictures of the trash racks and the tail race. I will do a little weathering to the building, and some minor modifications and it should pass easily. I actually have video from the plant that I should be able to make a sound unit too. The plant I worked at was low head, 18 foot, this one should scale around 15 foot head.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-01-2011

Lots of people have power plants on their layouts, usually coal-fired ones to justify running trains of coal hoppers, so a hydro-electric plant is a real "switch", Charlie. Wink That four track main line oughta be pretty busy hauling all those tank cars of water to run the place. Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-03-2011

A few more details added today. The building needed some repairs, and everything needs signs. The water still needs the gloss polyurethane but I am tickled with what it looks like so far.
I can't thank you folks enough for all the tips and tricks I have learned so far, and I can't believe how little effort most stuff takes if you just know the tricks.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 01-04-2011

Looking good Charlie Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 01-04-2011

I had the same building some time ago on my layout. I did not like it and I did not have a good use for it. It was just another small industry building.

You had a bright idea how to make a great use of it. I would never had the idea to use it as a small power plant. In your hands it became a nice building in a great scenery Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - MountainMan - 01-04-2011

doctorwayne Wrote:Lots of people have power plants on their layouts, usually coal-fired ones to justify running trains of coal hoppers, so a hydro-electric plant is a real "switch", Charlie. Wink That four track main line oughta be pretty busy hauling all those tank cars of water to run the place. Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Now there's an idea... 35

Re: Charlie b's layout - OBJack - 01-25-2011

Great progress Charlie.
I'm loving the openness that the space, the distance and the disappearing tracks give your layout.
A great thing to share with us. Looking forward to the next year or so when the scenery and buildings crank up.

I'm such a bad arse forum member that when I get time to see any posts I gotta spend a day catching up and everyone has done such wonderful stuff I just sit here in front of the computer and ogle at the work for hours, then my time is up and I have to leave before I can post. :oops:
My son-in-law & daughter are here to stay with us for this year, so maybe I can set him to work the farm while I stay home and... "Do some paper-work"... Big Grin

Jack 219

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-27-2011

Thanks Jack, I just wish I had the talent that you and the other guys here have, but I guess I'll be happy with what the good Lord gave me.
I'm making progress, but working on what I FEEL like working on. Some times a kit, sometimes a little track tweaking, and sometimes plaster work.
Today I decided one corner wasn't busy enough so I cut in a switch, laid down some 2 in foam board, and glued 3 old Tyco through truss bridges together so now I'll have a spot on a corner for another industry.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 01-27-2011

That corner with the bridge looks great! That's gonna be a great scene.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-27-2011

Thanks Kevin, I really am humbled by praise from you and the rest of the great modelers here. It makes me try just a little harder.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - rthornton - 01-30-2011

Awesome looking layout. Can harly wait to see more pictures as you progress.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-30-2011

Just a quick picture of the bridge area. A little progress today, the weather is lousy so good modeling weather. Winter storm warnings for tomorrow. I was surprised that the glue on the ballast is setting so fast, must not be any humidity at all.
Cheers
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 01-30-2011

I really like that bridge scene Charlie, it reminds me of a scene from Sandpatch. I also love that incredibly long main line run in the photo above! Thumbsup
Ralph