Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 01-30-2011

I'm still liking that bridge. It looks even better from the other side. Something about having a railroad bridge that crosses another railroad track really appeals to me, but when it is a single track branch line crossing a double track mainline on a curve it make is absolutely intriguing. Perhaps it is because I can only think of only one location in my entire state where one track crosses over another.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-31-2011

Kevin, in the east there are (were)lots of unusual situations due to the terrain and competition. The N&W comes to mind because they arrived on the scene late many times and were forced to build in awkward areas producing lots of bridges, tunnels, cuts, and fills.
This bridge will be a combination road/railroad bridge when I'm done. It is only to serve 2 industries and a common bridge wasn't unheard of.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-31-2011

A plastic bush called Cream Heather from Hobby Lobby and some snippers and green paint and I have a few very presentable trees for $3.50. (half price)

Re: Charlie b's layout - rrinker - 01-31-2011

SO you basically snipped off tree-size bunched of the white prt and then sprayed it a tree green? Did you add any ground foam or are they 'leafy' enough? Sounds and looks like a decent option for middle trees - fancy expensive ones up front where everyone can see them, decent but far less espensive ones in the middle, and blobs with poly fiber for the background where you can;t see individual trees.

--Randy

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 01-31-2011

Nice work, Charlie. I saw that exact same plant and mulled it over for a few minutes thinking of what I could do with it.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-01-2011

rrinker Wrote:SO you basically snipped off tree-size bunched of the white prt and then sprayed it a tree green? Did you add any ground foam or are they 'leafy' enough? Sounds and looks like a decent option for middle trees - fancy expensive ones up front where everyone can see them, decent but far less espensive ones in the middle, and blobs with poly fiber for the background where you can;t see individual trees.

--Randy
These were right off the "Vine". I think that they need to be dipped in white glue to make them a little more resilient, and need a little different tint. I was able to get 35 small "trees" and 3 large ones off of the one bush. Here are a couple better pictures .
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 02-01-2011

Very nice, Charlie. I like the trees, I'll go to Hobby Lobby and see if I can find those. With a little TLC, should make some nice "mid" trees as Kevin mentioned.

Keep up the good work!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-01-2011

The Hobby Lobby number is 193870. I hope they are on sale there too. I plan on getting about 10 more if they have them on sale when we can get out. Were in a bad ice storm right now.
It is a good Idea to dip them in diluted white glue. I did that with the ones that were painted, and just painted the other sprig that was left to do.
Doing about 6 things at once waiting for different materials to set or dry. Great day to be inside.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Harry - 02-01-2011

no bad, Charlie Thumbsup Cheers

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-02-2011

Here are a couple pictures after a little more work. I made the grass from oak sawdust. I screened it and put it in a plastic quart jar, then I added some green craft paint, alcohol, and water to taste. shook it well, then added enough sawdust to soak up all the paint mixture. I spread it on old newspaper and let it air dry. I made a dark green, light green and a yellow and mixed them equally in a shaker , then I spread some thick white glue and wet it with a little window cleaner, then spread it evenly with a brush. Then I shook the grass onto the glue, then sprayed it once again with the window cleaner, then I soaked it all down with my runny glue/washer anti freeze mix and shook more grass into the wet glue until it was covered.

Re: Charlie b's layout - tomustang - 02-02-2011

Hey Charlie, what's the building in the first pic all the way in the back left behind the water tower looking thingy?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-02-2011

tomustang Wrote:Hey Charlie, what's the building in the first pic all the way in the back left behind the water tower looking thingy?
Tom, that was actually sold as a pickle plant. I have two of them and no place to grow that many cucumbers, so one will have to be converted to something used in brewing. there are 3 tanks in the building, one upright and two on their sides. It still needs a lot of work.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-04-2011

It was a beautiful day in our neighborhood so I stayed inside and painted backdrops. I need to be more talented, and if I ever improve I may do them over, but for now, they are fine, and really add to the appearance of the layout.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 02-04-2011

I knew that you were a man of many talents, Charlie, and you've given further proof. Nice job! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 02-04-2011

I just asked about when you painted the backdrop in another thread..now I see it! Nicely done! That was a lot of area to paint!
Ralph