Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 04-26-2011

I have to say that I am quite envious of Charlie's large layout, and the rapid progress he is making. Heck, he even had to build the building it is housed in! You have many creative solutions in this thread Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-27-2011

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I need all the encouragement I can get.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - tetters - 04-27-2011

Gary S Wrote:Now, the LED lighting, that's a nice trick using washers for shades, and I can make use of that eventually. The lighting looks good in the structures.

Good to see you making progress!

Ditto on that. I'll be steal... I'm borrowing that idea sometime in the near future. Wink

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-27-2011

Stealing ideas on this forum is the greatest form of flattery I know of. I'm working on stealing one from Ralph right now. I went to JO-ANN's yesterday and bought 400 cupped silver sequins, (8mm) and I'm going to put 3mm white LED's through them to make lights for my yard that actually work. This will take some time because there are other projects to do, but pictures will be posted. I did make sure the sequins were not conductive (electrically).
The inside lights would be a little closer to scale if they were the 3mm LED's but these will really be tough to see from any angle.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-29-2011

I began work on another section which I want to represent my great grandfathers business in East Liverpool, Ohio. He was quite an entrepreneur, having been involved with the traction railways in the area and even to the point of having a patent on a steel railway tie. Later in his life he had green houses as well as 5 tennis courts.
My family must have been some tennis players. Great grandpa played a whole set on his 90th birthday (My mother says he won it too). From what I can see time line wise he didn't start the tennis courts until 1929 and he would have been 72 years old then.    
Really not worth posting a picture but, for what it's worth.
Here is a general overall view of the center section of the pike. It's still cluttered, but some of the material has been used, and the baseboard and door trim has been installed if I haven't already mentioned it.    

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 04-29-2011

It's looking good, Charlie!
You've come a long way in the past year ...
... and you have a lot to be proud of!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 04-30-2011

Cheers

Looking back to the first page, I see that the building materials were delivered on March 9th, 2010, and here just over one year later, you've got a great train room and a nice layout in it. Spectacular progress!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-30-2011

Thanks Gary, I'm pleased with the progress, but I have a long way to go to get things as detailed as you. My talent lags way behind, and I must admit, I get frustrated when I just can't do it, but then I have to convince myself that I'm doing OK, and though I am not on par with most of you guys, I'm way better then those that don't model, so I can woo them. Icon_lol
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Sumpter250 - 04-30-2011

Looking at that picture, got me to thinking...............
There must be a gene, common to model railroaders, that gives us just the right "eye" for designing and detailing the, "Under The Layout", areas . Big Grin Big Grin Icon_twisted Big Grin

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 04-30-2011

Charlie you are doing splendidly (I don't often used the word "splendidly") Smile Its always a pleasure to see your photo documented progress and I am loving the way you've created a broad curved, long main lined, four track stage for that Pennsey Power!
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 04-30-2011

Sumpter250 Wrote:Looking at that picture, got me to thinking...............
There must be a gene, common to model railroaders, that gives us just the right "eye" for designing and detailing the, "Under The Layout", areas . Big Grin Big Grin Icon_twisted Big Grin

I think you're right Pete. I have a very similar thing going on under mine! Eek Misngth

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 04-30-2011

Charlie B Wrote:but I have a long way to go to get things as detailed as you. My talent lags way behind, and I must admit, I get frustrated when I just can't do it, but then I have to convince myself that I'm doing OK, and though I am not on par with most of you guys,

Charlie, you always make me blush and wince just a bit when you say things like that. We each have our talents and our desires about what we want from our hobby experiences. Here's my perception:

When I see your train room, I think "wow, it's gonna be great to sit back and watch the trains run." I see your layout as a place where friends can gather and just enjoy the trains and each other. I can imagine alot of smiles, good humor, and comraderie. And I think that is what you are aiming for, so you are exactly accomplishing your goals.

My view of the hobby is less of the trains, but more of the "detailed structure" and "prototpye scene". For my layout, I am imagining a couple guys running local freights, absorbed in their duties, shuffling cars in and out of the industries, immersed in the industrial scenes, and for good portions of the time, forgetting that the other guy is even there.

The fact that you have come so far in barely over one year is a testament to your skill and dedication to the hobby. Thumbsup

edit: typo

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 04-30-2011

Charles!

One should never measure one's own accomplishments by looking at what someone else has done!
Those are their accomplishments ... they must measure their own!

You have to look at where you started, where you are now ...
... and then, look at what it took to get from the beginning to the present ...
... that's what to measure!

In my book, to paraphrase an old ad for a certain skinny "woman's cigarette" ...

... "You've come a long way, Bubba!"

Re: Charlie b's layout - iis612 - 04-30-2011

Cheers

I think Bil hit the nail square and true.

Matt

Re: Charlie B's layout - Charlie B - 05-10-2011

When Bil posted I was trying to think of a nice way to thank him. I hope I haven't hesitated too much. He will always be in my thoughts.
I have not been doing much layout work, but did rough in my tennis court greenhouse area. I have to scratch build 3 houses unless anyone knows where to get models of Sears houses from 1921. I think at least one of them was a Sears kit. I have many old pictures to go by, but all of the houses were moved around on the property in the 50's and one was even rotated 180 degrees. Any how here are a few pictures of nothing.
Charlie