Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 06-10-2011

Neat video, Charlie Thumbsup Thumbsup and I really like the looks of that Hippo with the "coast to coast" tender

Steamtrains Wrote:That's a first for me...A pusher in HO...!!! Good job..!! Thumbsup

Hey, Gus, I occasionally run pushers, too, but only on long trains where double-headed locos are insufficient to make the grades. Mine, of course, don't have sound, as operation is DC. Wink

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-10-2011

Fluesheet Wrote:I'd added a separate pusher several times on my old layout (for fun), and it's a tough job to get the power right on both for one person. You can cheat and consist them, but that's, well, cheating. Smile

Hi Matt
Thanks for the comments. I had a throttle in each hand to start things. It would have been nice to be able to keep them there but I had to put them down to do the video. The locomotives are not speed matched, something I just haven't taken the time to do.
There is always something to do.
Actually the locomotives were quite loud, I had to take the volume way down, but most of that is the mike on this camera, it is too sensitive, in fact so sensitive it is almost impossible to use outdoors because it picks up wind noise even without any wind Goldth .
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-10-2011

I just watched the video. Very cool, and I'll echo the comment, the pusher part was very good. Liked the sound too. Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 06-10-2011

Just my 2 bits....While I'd like to have sound, it just drives me up the wall...I can't begin to imagine what several locos going at the same time would sound like... Nope
The "clickety-clack" of steel wheels is all the "railroady" sound I need... Goldth

Re: Charlie b's layout - Fluesheet - 06-11-2011

Steamtrains Wrote:Just my 2 bits....While I'd like to have sound, it just drives me up the wall...I can't begin to imagine what several locos going at the same time would sound like... Nope
The "clickety-clack" of steel wheels is all the "railroady" sound I need... Goldth

I agree, to a point. I think sound is good, but I personally think that locomotive sound should be just above ambient sound - so it doesn't become irritating. Not with volume set to - as I heard someone say recently - "set to stun"! Smile

Re: Charlie B's layout - Charlie B - 06-11-2011

When your hearing is as bad as mine you tend to make things overly loud, just to hear them. I run by sound when I don't feel like walking around with the train. All of the layout is not visible from any one spot.
When it gets to be too much, you just hit F8 and shut the sound off.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-11-2011

On Mike Spoor's layout where I have operated a couple times, most of his locos don't have sound. But when a loco with sound went by, it was a real treat. I definitely like sound!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-19-2011

I did a little work on my waterfall area this morning. It is made using the silicone caulking method. Very easy to do.     The verticle silicone was squeezed onto wax paper and I let it set for a day.     Then I used silicone to make the rapids and glue the verticle sheet in place    
I'll add some more silicone at the bottom to finish this scene.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-19-2011

That certainly looks like water going over the falls. I really like the last photo from under the trestle. Very cool!

How's the weather up there? I've been having to run the train room air conditioner for about the last month. You?

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 06-19-2011

That turned out really well, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup By the time I get down to see you, the layout should be just about finished. Wink Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Bob C - 06-19-2011

Charlie...that's Outstanding ! Didja put a bucket under the layout so the floor doesn't get wet ??? If you get time, next time do us a little "How-To" Big Grin Bob C.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 06-19-2011

VERY effective Charlie! The waterfall looks like white churning water to me! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Gary S Wrote:That certainly looks like water going over the falls. I really like the last photo from under the trestle. Very cool!

How's the weather up there? I've been having to run the train room air conditioner for about the last month. You?
We have finally had some dry weather, and though we have had some 90 degree days I haven't needed the AC in the train room. It stays pretty cool most of the day as long as I keep it closed up and in the evenings I can open it up and let the cool air in.
Charlie

doctorwayne Wrote:That turned outreally well, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup By the time I get down to see you, the layout should be just about finished. Wink Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne
Not a chance of it ever being finished..If it is I'll be out of work. Gotta have something to talk about when you come.
Charlie

Bob C Wrote:Charlie...that's Outstanding ! Didja put a bucket under the layout so the floor doesn't get wet ??? If you get time, next time do us a little "How-To" Big Grin Bob C.
I can't take credit for the idea. I watched this short video <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://modeltrainsites.com/videos-how-waterfalls-are-made-for-model-%5B8SUgoMJhO1I%5D.cfm">http://modeltrainsites.com/videos-how-w ... O1I%5D.cfm</a><!-- m -->
and got pretty good results.
Charlie