Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-13-2011

Hi Blue
Many moons ago I downloaded a bunch of free printable building fronts, and as we have had two days of rain I thought I would play with them to see what I could do.
The downloads were pretty good so I thought I would see what I could do to make some buildings of my own too. so my first project was this one:The old Belvedere Hotel in Apollo, Pa    
I corrected the camera distortion and did a lot of stretching and cloning and came up with this:    
Then I did the front of what used to be a wholesale grocery warehouse in East Liverpool, Ohio. :     and this one wasn't too bad to do.    
The next one was a lot tougher because of its size, The old Crockery City Brewery, I had to do that is 2 parts.    

Re: Charlie B's layout - Charlie B - 10-13-2011

Here is the Brewery after a couple of hours work:    

The next step was to print the buildings.    
Then I used 3M general purpose spray adhesive to attach them to plywood and Masonite backing (I have lots of little scraps laying around.)    

after the glue set up, I sprayed the paper with a heavy coat of flay finish Krylon clear, and when it was good and dry I cut them out with my 15 inch scroll saw    

After cutting I sprayed another coat of Krylon, and used some craft paint to paint the edges.
Just to see what they would look like I stuck them against the backdrop and took this picture. (the sky is a photoshop because this section isn't done yet.)    

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 10-13-2011

Wow! Very cool Charlie! I wouldn't even know how to begin doing that image magic of yours but the results are impressive! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 10-13-2011

Charlie---I'm very impressed,your prints remind me of the Kingmill buildings.I hear Doctor Wayne likes to stay at the Belvedere when he visits

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-13-2011

If anyone wants the PDF files for the buildings I'm doing, PM me, and I'll see if I can sent them. They are large files. The JPGs would work but I don't know if they would print the right size. The ones I downloaded I had to convert to HO, and according to copyright I can distribute them as long as they remain free so you are welcome to them too.
I plan to work on lots more this winter.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-15-2011

For all of you that want to try to make sense of one of the areas I'm modeling here is a link
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qs3fyc88jckf&lvl=18.36940919908005&dir=1.3043406745874577&sty=o&where1=East%20Liverpool%2C%20OH&form=LMLTSN">http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qs3fyc ... orm=LMLTSN</a><!-- m -->

Here are a couple labeled pictures of what track was there when I was growing up.  This view is looking north:    

Notice the odd shapes of the buildings, nothing is square. This is a view of the same buildings looking south:    

To the east the area looked like this:    

and next east :    

The track went into a small yard with 4 team tracks. They were removed in the late 50's but the track still went uptown farther until the end of the 60's, the branch to the old Riggs building was still used until 1977. A wholesale auto parts company used to get box cars of new tires delivered there.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 10-15-2011

Farther east the track served a lumber company, a coal dealer and a GMC truck dealer :    
There was a switch which ran to the south that service the A&P and the Throfare stores in the 50's and before that there was a pottery on that siding. East Liverpool was the pottery capital of the world, now everything is gone.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-21-2011

Ralph's motivational photos got me motivated so I worked on an area today. I had been stumped because the terrain wasn't quite right for a little town, but I want one there anyway. It will be one end of a small short line so it has to have at least one freight customer, and I want it to be the terminus of a commuter run which will involve 2 short switching lines as well as a reverse move over the main.
Hopefully that will add enough headaches for a dispatcher when I have some operating sessions.
I picked up a bunch of buildings for a very good price on Craigslist and with some cleaning and painting and re-gluing here and there I will have enough to fill in until I can do some detailing.
Anyhow, here are some pictures of Lowtown under construction.                    

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-21-2011

Looking good, love the low angle shots!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 11-22-2011

Looks like a good place for a town to me! Rail station, freight customer, main street...what's not to like!?! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-22-2011

We will see if we can make it more believable today. All we have here is rain.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-22-2011

And it did rain all day. I really enjoy retirement when I don't have to leave on a day like today.
Here are a few pictures of today's progress. Thanks for the inspiration Ralph
Charlie            

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 11-22-2011

Very nice Charlie---a great scene with lots of operating/switching possibilities---I really like the passenger station stub Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-22-2011

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 11-22-2011

Nice work Charlie! You get a lot done on a rainy day! I like the results. Nice collection of vintage vehicles too. Thumbsup
Ralph