Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-23-2011

I took every thing back off the area so I could plant some grass and bushes. Probably will take the glue about 3 months to dry. Icon_lol
I used all the foam I had made so while this is drying I can make another batch.        

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 11-23-2011

Background building bonanza, boomtown building explosion, and now flash forestation - I'm gettin' exhausted just watching all the progress you're making. Eek It's a good thing that I'm not there helping - we probably wouldn't even be started yet. Misngth Misngth Lookin' good, my friend. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-23-2011

If you were here, we would be drinking coffee and watching train videos, thinking about working on the trains.
Your shots and Ed's pictures, as well as Ralph's motivation have built a fire under me.
I was at a standstill for a while trying to figure how to make this area work. In this case, the best plan was no plan at all. It worked out that I did what would have to be done in the real world, and I think it will come together very well in the end.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-27-2011

Hi group.
Another rainy day here so plenty of work is done. The glue is dry on the "brush" so I put some paint on some buildings and did some rearranging of structures. Still plenty of detail work to do, signs and poles are really needed. Some of the buildings need some trim paint and touch up, but I have things almost ready to show to folks over the holiday.
Thanks for all of your kind comments. They go a long way.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 12-16-2011

Hi Big Blue
I have been working on the area that will be a small town at the top of the mountain. I haven't named it yet, but hope to be able to represent a small mountain community from the 50's. Not much progress, but it's a start.            

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 12-16-2011

The pics in your next to last post of the town are very nice, so I have no doubt the town refered to in your last post while be great also! Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 12-16-2011

Those are great retaining walls Charlie. Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 12-16-2011

I love seeing the updates on this thread. Charlie, you are building one of my favorite layouts on this forum. That 4-track mainline could be the subject of a song train

Thakns Kevin. If I had your talent it would be so much easier. I have to work to get everything the way I want it and then it doesn't quite make it, but I am having fun. I'm even thinking I should have Thomas to run for the great grandkids. The oldest one is now almost 7 and he loves to watch them. Never touches them. I am going to show him how to run them when he is here over the holidays. He runs straight DC on my old layout (my old one in my other house..that never got finished)
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 12-16-2011

Charlie B Wrote:....I have to work to get everything the way I want it and then it doesn't quite make it, but I am having fun....

You may have to work to get everything the way you want it, but I've seen it in person and it most definitely does make it. Thumbsup Thumbsup I'm always impressed, not just with your creativity, but also with the speed with which you're able to accomplish things.

Wayne

I have had many good teachers here on big blue. Some of them don't even know how much I have learned from them.
I guess it is time to say thanks to everyone.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 12-17-2011

Hello Charlie---it's always personally satisfying when people appreciate someone's layout but when you see the joy and thrill in the eyes of your 7 year old grandson,that's got to be very special---it's going to be a very merry Christmas at your house I'm sure

Re: Charlie b's layout - sailormatlac - 12-17-2011

Nice work Charlie, your small town got a lot of character. As CN nut said in a previous post, the passenger stub is really a nice addition.

Matt

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 12-19-2011

Same town, just a little more clutter. I found a great way to "plant" telephone poles. I have a roll of 16 ga. solid wire so I took the plastic bases off the poles, drilled a hole up the center of the pole about 3/4 of an inch and glued a piece of wire 1 1/2 inches long in the hole.
I left the insulation on the half that sticks out and drilled a 1/16 in hole where the poles had to be. this gives them a little flex so a goofball like me might not break them quite so easy, and if I do they are easy to replace.        

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 12-20-2011

Neat idea Charlie! The poles really add to your city scene. Thumbsup