Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-06-2013

This is the side that faces Green Alley    
I thought I had enough castings from my linka molds to make the foundation but I ran out about half way     I will cast a couple more batches to finish the foundation.

The building has some great faded ghost signage so I took the picture I had    
and took it to Photoshop and straightened it up.    

Then I printed a decal to put on the side after the clear is dry on the decal. This is my first attempt at making a decal I'll report on that after I attempt to apply it. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-06-2013

It's really nice to see that building coming to life on your layout, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-07-2013

I made a little headway today. I should have printed the decal for the sign a little lighter, but I think it will be fine once the building is finished and weathered.        

I still have to decide what to do with the track. I would like to have room between the building and the track for a loading dock. That would be a little more like the prototype, with the shed roof over the dock. I have deviated so far from the prototype that it doesn't really matter I guess.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 01-07-2013

I like the shape of the structure! The right half of the decals looks heavy weathered but the letters are still visible. A great idea to do those interesting walls.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-07-2013

Hi Reinhard
I was lucky to be able to find the building footprint on line at our tax office, It made it nice not having to measure it or go guess the angles. I am not a Geometry genius, so I just googled to find a site that let me put in the dimensions and it gave me the angles.

As the decal is drying it is getting lighter so It will be OK.

I want to paint the brick again then cover the whole building with dull coat. then a good weathering is needed.

Still lots to do.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-08-2013

A little more weathering, painting and some window frames.            
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - sailormatlac - 01-09-2013

Charlie, that's a huge warehouse. I was on the impression it was not that big, but the last picture proves me wrong. Nothing makes better urban setting that a building that can dwarf a boxcar.

Matt

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 01-09-2013

I like the whole concept of making a decal sign, and of adding pictures inside the windows to suggest interiors. I wonder if you might want to weather the brick walls a bit more to blend with the heavily weathered sign/decal? Maybe more mortor? Any way, I like the building. Interesting shape. Eye catching and very "railroady". Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-09-2013

Thanks for the comments Ralph.
I do think the entire building needs some more weathering, and I think bringing out the mortar joints will be a step in the right direction.
This was my first attempt at printing a decal, and for this purpose I should have used the regular setting instead of the photo setting the instructions call for. . I had to paint under the decal white and I should have done that with gloss white and made it a heavy white, which would have made the decal more transparent. I can attempt to do that over. I have the material.
I need to paint the front too and weather it but I want to think on that for a while. I won't be doing much on it for the next week so I have lots of thinking time.
We are to have 60 degrees here tomorrow and I am hoping I can do some air brushing. I have 4 FP7's and 6 F3's ready to paint and I'd like to get that done and get them run able.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 01-09-2013

60 degrees! I'm envious. Looking forward to what you do with the building. I still like the whole concept. I have to admit that decal making has often been a challenge for me. I seem to be OK as long as I'm making black lettering but anything else tends to look washed out. Good luck with all of your projects!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-10-2013

Ralph Wrote:60 degrees! I seem to be OK as long as I'm making black lettering but anything else tends to look washed out.
I wanted them to look washed out, so I guess maybe that is what you should try Misngth
I got the shells painted and clear coated today. I was worrying about some dull areas where the paint blushed, but then it dawned on me that there would be dull coat applied after the decals and then some weathering so I quit worrying. The last locomotive I painted was in 2006 when I did an E7. I haven't had the air brush out since then. I was surprised, but my paint was still good and easy to mix.    

I even made a few trees to kill time tonight. I get my left eye cataract removed in the morning so I figure I'll pretty much sleep all day after that.    

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 01-10-2013

Hi Charlie---wishing you all the best tomorrow,you're going to need a keen eye for all the fine detailing on those newly painted diesels

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 01-10-2013

My best wishes!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 01-10-2013

Right! Good l;uck tomorrow!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-11-2013

Hi guys
11:24 AM and we are home and I have one eye clear. Limited duty for a week but then I'm good to go. Nothing to it. If anyone else is worried about having it done....Do it. Thumbsup
Charlie