Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - iis612 - 02-22-2013

Charlie,

Wow, have I missed a bunch. Glad that your surgery went well.
Your layout looks amazing!!! Such incredible progress! While I have other threads to catch up on, I had to visit your's first.

Matt

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-22-2013

Hi Matt, it is good to have you back again.
I had the other eye done 2 weeks ago and it went very well too. I drove after dark last Tuesday for the first time since the surgeries and it was like being reborn again. No halos, and it was like I put another set of headlights on the car. I didn't have any trouble seeing during the day, and notice very little daylight difference, but wow, what a difference night time is. Now I am able to do everything once again so I think a good clean up in the train room is in order. Misngth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 02-22-2013

Looks like you are rocking right along ! Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - iis612 - 02-23-2013

Charlie,

That is great to hear!! Enjoy the new and improved sights.

Matt

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-23-2013

Thanks Matt.

I put some color to the cliff face today, and now it needs some loose debris at the bottom and some brush and weeds growing from the level spots and cracks.
I am amazed at the job rock castings can do to bring a scene to life. I wish I had room to do this with all the rock cut faces I have.    
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-28-2013

The stone arch viaduct has turned into a real pain. The castings are up, but the joints will have to be sculpted by hand, and I am no way an artist.
I will have to smooth and sculpt the edge of the arch to represent stone on the face that make the structure that supports the arch.    
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 02-28-2013

I have no doubts that you'll be able to get those castings cleaned up, Charlie, but it's going to be one of those tasks where you can work at it for only so long before you'll need to take a break. A little bit each day, but you'll get 'er done. Wink Goldth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-28-2013

Wayne, I'm in no hurry, I think it was started about 2 years ago. I may need some adult beverages to make it look right. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 02-28-2013

Shame on you Charlie, a young man like you partaking of adult beverages! Icon_lol Cheers

Re: Charlie b's layout - teejay - 02-28-2013

Charlie , I think the bridge looks good pretty much the way it is .......needs a bit more paint but I like it old and battered . I you get things too smooth , it might look too pretty Eek ...and we wouldn't want that ! Maybe just do a little dry brushing with a lighter grey in some areas ....I think it's a real centerpiece !

T

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 02-28-2013

That bridge is a HUGE undertaking! I'm impressed so far.

Worship

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 02-28-2013

I'm with T. The viaduct looks good in your photo!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-30-2013

I have been scanning slides so the layout has taken a back seat, but it warmed up yesterday so I did some work on the cliff face on the north side of the layout.
I wanted to make it look like old rock with the blue green flourescent moss. It looks good in person, but hard to photograph.
I mixed blue and green craft paint with some Elmer's white glue and added some fine green ground foam, thinned the mess with window cleaner, then I brushed it on the areas that don't see much sunlight.            
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 03-30-2013

I'm lichen it! Smile Thumbsup Good to see more layout shots!

Re: Charlie b's layout - teejay - 03-30-2013

Ouch , Ralph ....! Icon_lol Nice job on the cribbing and retaining walls .

T