Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-30-2013

I can't believe it has been a month since I updated this. I guess I haven't got much done that is noticible. I've been putting rock castings on the other cliff faces and making them look a little better. I have another corner looking better. The rail that hasn't rusted really stands out. That is the one easy detail that really makes a difference.    
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 04-30-2013

Good to see you back at it Charlie. Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 04-30-2013

That's really lookin' good, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup Should I bring a paint brush on my next visit? Misngth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-30-2013

doctorwayne Wrote:That's really lookin' good, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup Should I bring a paint brush on my next visit? Misngth

Wayne
Only if it is raining too hard.... Misngth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-11-2013

This morning was a good morning to work on the layout. I had 5 sidings I wanted kill switches on and I decided to break the layout into power districts with protection for each district. I got 4 separated and the protection installed. I'm using 1156 bulbs in series for the time being.
I took a few railfan pictures tonight. First off some action at the top of the grade. 2 coming up on the inside tracks and a set of helpers passing on the outside.

Next the CZ is waiting its turn at the hill. It has stopped to clear the crossing.

A view of some of the town.

And an E7 leads a consist with a PB1 and an E8 adding power for this hot load of perishables.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 05-12-2013

Lookin' good, Charlie, and you're really making good progress on filling in areas and adding scenes and details. Thumbsup Thumbsup
I don't recall seeing that Zephyr before - who makes it?

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-12-2013

Wayne, the CZ is one of the early Broadway Limited Imports. I got the whole set at a really good deal in 2007 or 2008. I have kept it packed away for most part.
The wheel sets on the cars had to have a lot of work, many were out of gauge and the axle ends looked like fish hooks. It was fairly easy to get them fixed up.
I bought the PRR sleeper that was a run through and a couple extra cars. My excuse is the PRR borrowed a set to try to increase passenger revenues. Clearance wasn't a problem Misngth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 05-12-2013

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 05-12-2013

Hi Charlie---your layout just keeps getting better and better Thumbsup --- with all those great photo scenes,I'd be running down my camera's battery really fast taking pictures 357

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-08-2013

Good morning Blue
I have an area on the layout that needs a building. I remember a building in my hometown that was U shaped. It housed a skating rink and the VFW on the top floor, which was actually street level at the rear wall. The lower level had a car dealership and there was also a GMC/Reo truck dealer there. There was even a plate glass dealer in the lower level. I am not an artist and it is a shame because for some stupid reason I can picture the building side from the lower level like I was standing there now, even down to the railroad track and the huge water puddle. I could find a poor aerial picture that showed it but nothing that was helpful. It was next door to the Enterprise Coal Company, a dealer in house coal (another thing of the past).
2 years ago while in Ollie's, a bargain store, I found some IHC kits for sale cheap, and I bought some. One of these was the Novelty Iron Works.    

I kitbashed it into a long narrow warehouse building to use on one section of the layout.     There are a lot of windows and trim that come with this kit, making it a Kitbashing beauty. I was lucky to find a few more kits by searching other Ollie stores, so this is what I am using to make this building.
It is taking 2 kits, but for less than 20 bucks I will have a representation of the building I remember. It still will be about 100 feet shy of the full width that I remember, but when you don't have room you do your best. Goldth

Here it is set in location temporarily.

I had to make the floor and I have the roof made. I still need to cut floors for between the stories. (this evenings project.)
Though far from the original, some signage will suffice to bring back the memories.

Thanks for looking.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 06-08-2013

Lookin' good, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup
You're right about that structure, as it's a real kitbasher's delight. I've started on mine, but nothing yet worth showing. Misngth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-10-2013

Here it is with a few windows installed and set in place. Interior lighting and work around the outside and the street in front needs to be done yet.    
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-13-2013

I got the lights and the bill board in place.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-04-2013

I have done some work lately but nothing that I think is noteworthy. Just the usual stuff, painting rail, installing walls, fixing defective cars and locomotives, but here are some pictures taken around the pike this afternoon.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-04-2013

And just a few more.    

Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans, and to everyone, everywhere, have a great day .
Charlie