Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 07-04-2013

The lighted building came out great Charlie, the other pics are a treat is well! Thumbsup Cheers Worship

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-04-2013

Mike I noticed in the pictures all the things that need to be fixed. I think the camera is going to be one of my best tools to force me to become a better modeler.
It's funny that they have to be posted for the world for the most glaring errors to become noticeable. Icon_lol

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 07-04-2013

Same thing is true for me. Nothing like posting a photo to get a better look at my own work. I'm with Tyson in admiring your illuminated building!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-04-2013

Thanks for the compliments guys. Ralph, you actually inspired me for the light shades on the outside lamps. I used a 3mm leather punch to put a hole in a sequin and glued a 3mm LED in them, then bent the leads to use for attachments to the building and the billboard. I want to do the same on tall pole to illuminate the yards. The LED lighting is the way to go, you just need resistors in the circuit to limit the current. The LED's are really forgiving on the values of the resistors. I used a 1000 ohm in series with 3 LED's as I was going to use a 12v wall wart. I used a 6v and they work fine, so there is some room for error.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-15-2013

Continuing the corner project I needed some background buildings. I couldn't find anything I liked so I scanned a couple building fronts and went to Photoshop.
The buildings are on a grade so I took my adjustable square and got the correct angle. Next I took a scrap of 2X12 I saved from the building project and cut it to the approximate size.
Next step was to work with the scans in Photoshop and make the two fronts that were the same look different. The building in the center needed a local store to make it fit. Isaly's was a big player in this area in the 40's and 50's and I remember the stores and their Skyscraper ice cream cones fondly.
I made prints from the scans on plain paper, sprayed them heavily with matt finish, and when they were dry I used Elmer's white glue to glue them to the 2X12.
When the glue had dried, I sprayed another coat of matt finish on the works, let it dry, and used my 15 inch scroll saw to cut around the prints.
Last step was to paint the edges.        
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 07-15-2013

Looking good Charlie. Cheers

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 07-16-2013

Very creative Charlie---another fine addition to your layout Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 07-16-2013

No fuss, no muss, just do it! Thumbsup Thumbsup I love it, Charlie.....you've accomplished more on your layout in the past three-and-a-half years than I have on mine in twenty. Worship

I hope to drop by next week to have a closer look.

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-16-2013

I hope to see you then. I'll keep the light on.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 07-17-2013

Charlie B Wrote:I hope to see you then. I'll keep the light on.
Charlie

Is that the light in the train room..??

I too am amazed at your rate of building....I started framing up the center peninsula in my layout about a month ago, and I'm not even half-way to completing it (the framework)... Wallbang

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 07-17-2013

Nope Gus, just the porch light. Wayne can find his way around the train room blind folded. Icon_lol
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 07-21-2013

357 357 357 ...

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 07-21-2013

Charlie B Wrote:Nope Gus, just the porch light. Wayne can find his way around the train room blind folded. Icon_lol
Charlie

Yeah, it was always finding my way out of the driveway where I had problems. Icon_lol Misngth Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 08-01-2013

PRR 4595 has just delivered cars to the team tracks near the Trotter Hardware warehouse and is waiting for some railroad so she can continue home for some rest until tomorrows chores begin.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 08-01-2013

Charlie---It's always a treat when you post pictures of your layout,especially when there's a steam engine involved---a great shot of the "Hippo"