Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-12-2014

e-paw Wrote:Are those sharks that I see in the 040 pic Charlie ????
Yes there is a trio of sharks in there. You have a great eye. I'll have to put them on the head end of a train. Here is one A and a B at my friends layout in 2009.    
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-13-2014

Your backdrop buildings are looking good, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup Of course it also reminds me that I need to get busy on stuff like that, too. 35

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout/turning a corner - Charlie B - 01-13-2014

Thanks Wayne.
I wasn't happy with the abrupt end to my backdrop so I thought while I was making the buildings I would try to make one fit around the backdrop.
This is what I had to start with.    
I made a paper copy of a building I had by scanning it, added a couple of stories, added a front door, and made an end to match. I glued the paper to 1/4 inch plywood an cut the ends that join at a 45 degree angle and mated them together.    
Charlie

That's an elegant solution and really improves the appearance (or perhaps disappearance) of that end of the backdrop. Nicely done! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 01-13-2014

Good looking scenes Charlie.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 01-13-2014

Brilliant! The wrap-round building really works there! Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-13-2014

Thanks Ralph.
I am waiting for the trees to green up so I can get some pictures to make into background wallpaper. It's hard to find the right angles. Everyone wants to go up on the hill and take an aerial picture, and that won't work.

I worked on another background building today. I took the original picture last summer, and this is what I had to start with

I use Photoshop elements 5 to correct the distortion, and get the angles as close as possible, then it is just a matter of cutting out what you don't need.
I saved a basic empty store so I could work with it in the near future for something else.    

Then I took some various parts from other pictures to complete the backdrop picture.    

After I print them out I spray the front with matt medium to make the ink water proof, then when that is dry I spray the other side with cheap clear. This makes the paper a lot more durable, and gives you a little forgiveness if you need to move it on the glue. I use the 3m spray glue, but If the paper is sealed you can use Elmer's, but it will bubble. I use plywood sanded on one side, various thickness.

On some I have added an extra 1/2 in strip along both vertical edges to give them a little more depth. The ones glued to 1/4 in plywood just get the edges painted an appropriate color.

One bonus, I am learning how to use a program that was a complete mystery to me for many years.

Charlie

Charlie B Wrote:......One bonus, I am learning how to use a program that was a complete mystery to me for many years.

Looks like you've already solved quite a few of those mysteries, Charlie. That's turned out really well.

You've probably mentioned it to me before, but what's the building's connection to the Y&S?

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-14-2014

doctorwayne Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote:You've probably mentioned it to me before, but what's the building's connection to the Y&S?

Wayne
The building predates the Y&S railroad by a few years, so it isn't related. It would take a trip to the courthouse to research the deeds to find out the builders were "Young & Stupid" or some such. I am getting so lazy because I can find so much sitting in front of the computer. I did spend the morning at my favorite train watching spot watching the Eagle too. I think they are hatching another chick. I got some good pictures of one of them in a tree by the highway as I was leaving.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-14-2014

Hi guys and gals. I have been hibernating in all the cold weather, Just not going to the train room much at all, but I have been learning new things.
I bought some Alumilite High Strength 3 RTV mold making material and hae been playing around making molds and plaster castings to use for background vehicles.
I have quite a collection of castings to fill my junk yard and finally have discovered the secret to making reasonably good castings. The molds are easy to make, you just have to be careful of air bubbles.
One of the buildings for the layout is a bus station and you need buses around a bus station, so I wanted buses, and milk trucks for the dairy, and more cars for the streets. You need cars for car dealerships and parking lots too.
I have been using ental stone for castings and it is hard stuff when set, but I wasn't getting the air out of the castings. I found a site where the fellow said to soak your molds in detergent water and be sure to get all of the air out of the molds while they soak, then to hit them when you take them out of the water to knock as much water out of the molds as possible. Then I made the plaster a little wetter with some detergent (a very tiny amount) and made the plaster about 10 percent runnier than the instructions call for. I finally got some castings I can show.    
Lots of painting to do. but I have lots of time to do that.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 03-15-2014

Nice looking castings!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steve - 03-23-2014

Those castings look great! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 03-23-2014

I've never done that. Great looking results! Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 06-10-2014

Who would'a thought to cast cars..?? Good job..!! Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-24-2014

Well, I have been away from the modeling for a while simply because I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I thought I would try to jump start my attitude, so tonight I decided to try to make some tires for the castings. I bought some 1/8 and 3/16 vacuum hose and inserted a piece of dowel inside the hose. It was a very tight fit so I could only do a little over an inch at a time. I cut the dowell about an inch longer, then I put the end without the hose in my drill and used it as a lathe. While turning the rod with the drill I used my razor saw and cut 1/8 inch "tire and wheel assemblies" (reverse the drill so it is using the teeth backwards)
I was very pleased with the results.     I think you could make stacks of tires this way too, just cut the hose and not the dowel. I had to try them on a casting just to see what they would look like even though the casting wasn't near ready for finish.    
Charlie