Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-08-2019

I was back at it tonight for a while and when I looked at the addition I thought it looked like it would be too large for the area I have in mind. It appears to be about 36 feet long so I decided 24 would be plenty because it really doesn't appear to be a shop to work on more than one car at a time, so the front will be short a window.  So I cut out the sides for it and installed the windows and doors.     

It might be a while before I get back to it. My friend just brought me about 1200 slides that I want to scan for him. Starting in May of 1968. Lots of neat PC stuff too as well as Erie Lackawana Once they are done I will ask for permission to share.  
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-30-2019

Of course it isn't going to be exact because I don't want it on a grade but work continued for a while today. Things are glued together with a roof and some of the trim.          Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 03-30-2019

That's takin' shape nicely, Charlie!     Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 03-31-2019

Thumbsup
Good to see someone progressing!

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-01-2019

Well, trim painting never was my forte' but a second coat will be needed as well as some scraping where it looks like I used a four inch brush. I should have waited for warmer conditions but I can repair my mistakes. I just had to keep doing stuff.      

I have the sign glued to the polystyrene waiting for the glue to dry then I can cut it out and bolt it to the building.     

For the roofing I can see in the original picture that it was corrugated metal so I used an old EIDE computer cable and burnished some aluminum foil over it to get the material     

You have to pull the eraser in the same direction but it is a cheap way to make corrugated metal.     I want to try doing some with foil tape but I didn't have any on hand.

I have to wait for glue to dry to trim the edges and then a little roof coating  and jut a tiny bit of rust.  
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-01-2019

Lots more to do but I had to set it in temporarily to see what it would look like. You have to take pictures to see what needs done . I think it is going to be a neat little addition and my first scratch build. Only took 75 years to get brave enough to try. I have a lot to learn I hope I have enough time left.  Icon_e_biggrin         Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 08:50 PM)Charlie B Wrote:

.... I think it is going to be a neat little addition...

I totally agree, Charlie, and it fits right in!

Wayne

RE: Charlie b's layout - ezdays - 04-02-2019

Nice Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 04-02-2019

Looks right at home!

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-31-2019

Another project...     Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - BR60103 - 05-31-2019

Charlie
which Aerotrain is that? I have one car from Varney.

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-31-2019

(05-31-2019, 07:49 PM)BR60103 Wrote: Charlie
which Aerotrain is that?  I have one car from Varney.

This is the bowser version. I understand they bought the varney molds.

Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 06-01-2019

Nice job on the roofing. Neat train.

RE: Charlie b's layout - ezdays - 06-01-2019

Like the trestle, that shot is magazine worthy... Thumbsup Thumbsup

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-01-2019

(06-01-2019, 08:35 AM)ezdays Wrote: Like the trestle, that shot is magazine worthy... Thumbsup Thumbsup

The trestle was a gift from Railcop. I had to design the layout in that area so I could use it. He did a great job. 
Charlie