Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 12-28-2019

With some major smoothing and a coat of flat paint I have a better idea where I am going. The immediate front will be a spoil bank so most of it will be covered. 
I also got the poles cut for the jib cranes. I need 5 or 6 of them and it's more study than work to build them. I will probably do one first to be sure it works, then I can mass produce the rest.          Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-05-2020

I just spent 6 hours making a hinge for the bottom of a guy crane, and cutting several groves for pulleys. Not even worth a picture yet. 

It wasn't a total loss though, I found the extra soldering tips that came with my soldering station so now I have 3 complete sets.  Icon_e_biggrin

I did a couple little odd jobs on a couple locomotives that I had forgot to do while the iron was hot so they are back on the layout. 

More to come soon.

Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 03:56 PM)Charlie B Wrote:

I just spent 6 hours making a hinge for the bottom of a guy crane, and cutting several groves for pulleys...

Charlie

I can't help with the hinge, Charlie, but if you have a decent hole-punch, you can make the two sides using whatever size punch is most suitable, then use the next size down to make the centre portion.

If you don't have a decent punch, lemme know what size pulleys you need and I'll see what I can come up with.

Wayne

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-05-2020

Thanks Wayne, 

I may have been over simplifying when I said hinge. It was this assembly I was making that took so long. I had to cut, drill and fit it with nothing but the mast and the boom to fit it to. The next 4 or 5 will be easier because I know what to do.      

The pulley grooves were easy once I figured them out, and I found 6 suitable round  plastic rollers that I can turn for more pulleys, and I also found some small pulleys that came with our friend the Novelty Iron Co. that will work on the auxiliary boom supports. 

I did find it to be a very enjoyable day.  
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 09:24 PM)Charlie B Wrote:

...I did find it to be a very enjoyable day.

Charlie

Well, if you're enjoying yourself and accomplishing something, then it is indeed a good day.

Wayne

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-08-2020

A little update on the quarry.  I took it to the layout and did a test fit. I am trying to do as much as possible off the layout because it is a little longer to reach then I am capable of without some sort of scaffolding. I will do that to do the final blend and install but I want to have the quarry done before I do that. Here it is with the test fit.     

Here are some pictures of the cranes and some of the parts I have fashioned. The mast bottom and boom plates are made from brass sheet. I bolted the boom to the mast with a number 2 x  .5 inch bolt. The first boom was attached with 16 ga wire and hammered over and some solder.  I am not real happy with this one so I will b trying to use #1 bolts for the next one. Some weathering will hide most of it.           

More to come. 
I even got lighting installed and interiors with passengers in a couple passenger cars.  I do hate to do all the mutilation on the LPB's  so they appear to be seated, but it has to be done. 

Working on the layout is finally bringing me the joy it did years ago. 
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 08:37 PM)Charlie B Wrote:

....I even got lighting installed and interiors with passengers in a couple passenger cars.  I do hate to do all the mutilation on the LPB's  so they appear to be seated, but it has to be done.   

Oh, the humanity!! My word!

Let's see who makes the cut...

[Image: NewcrewsfortheGrandValley010.jpg]

Footloose...

[Image: NewcrewsfortheGrandValley005.jpg]

(01-08-2020, 08:37 PM)Charlie B Wrote:
Working on the layout is finally bringing me the joy it did years ago. 
Charlie

Now that's what I call a really good result!

Wayne

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-09-2020

I had thought about saving the remains for a halloween display on h layout. Someone might turn me in for a nut so I won't take the chance.  Icon_e_biggrin

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 01-09-2020

If they can make the outside of the car to scale you would think they could get the inside at least close enough that the people would fit with out being mutilated. The same applies to most autos and trucks as well.

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 07:32 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: If they can make the outside of the car to scale you would think they could get the inside at least close enough that the people would fit with out being mutilated. The same applies to most autos and trucks as well.

Mike, the problem isn't size, it's the pose.  I bought hundreds of LPB's for less than a dime each about 10 years ago and basically all I need is a silhouette in the coach windows so I am making them work.  Because the ones I bought are all standing, I only use the upper torsos. To buy seated figures at almost 2 bucks each for this is out of my price range when I need about 40 per car. 
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 01-10-2020

All the seated N and HO figures I have tried needed their lower legs and feet cut off as well.

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-10-2020

I didn't know there was a guy checking the brake rigging,  Icon_e_biggrin    
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - ezdays - 01-10-2020

Looking good Charlie.... Applause Applause

RE: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 09:17 AM)ezdays Wrote: Looking good Charlie.... Applause Applause

I agree, and much better ridership than my road's enjoying...

[Image: PassengercarsWillowgrove-coach62plus8smo...omp015.jpg]

[Image: PassengercarsTuscarora-solarium-lounge-5...ats009.jpg]

[Image: PassengercarsCayuga-56seatcoach003.jpg]

Wayne

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 01-11-2020

Nice work on the figures!