Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 05-21-2010

Thanks for the photos. You're coming along nicely. Where did you get the RR sign?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-22-2010

The sign was a takedown from an abandoned railroad, and the owner of the property made it a gift to me.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-28-2010

Today I finished hanging the drywall, and building my little model building room.
I installed a little 5000 BTU air conditioner in the room area on Tuesday, and turned it on to make sure it would work. With all the insulation in the building just the little guy kept the whole building 20 degrees cooler then the out side, so I finished the drywall in comfort. I have a much larger portable unit I will install with a dryer vent.
My son and his buddy hung the drywall on the ceiling but I finished the walls solo, and enjoyed it a lot.
One of the fringe benefits of this job is the fact I have lost 35 unwanted pounds, so I only have 50 to go.
I'll start putting the joint compound on tomorrow.
I still need to install the heat system (stats and baseboard units)(the wiring is roughed in), and I need to build the short walls that will run down the center of the layout, but the heavy hard stuff is all done.
All in all I'm tickled with the way it is working out.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 05-28-2010

Great progress Charlie, and looking good! The project is coming along nicely.

Glad to hear you enjoyed doing the drywall (it is one of my least favorite things).

what brand electrical panel did you use? It looks like the same one I used.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-28-2010

I used the GE contractor kit. I think it was 67 bucks at HD. I always like the GE panels best, mainly because the breakers are stocked by everyone, and they just do a nice job. Also price doesn't hurt. I bought the same box in 1982 for my other house when I upgraded from 110 30 amp service to 100 amp 220. (And the old house had a store in it before I bought it with a deli and ice cream coolers too.) It was over $100 back then.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Steamtrains - 05-28-2010

WoW...!! You've done a ton of work in a few days....!! Eek
Looks like layout construction can't be far away... Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 05-28-2010

Yeah, you've made some remarkable progress, Charlie, and it's lookin' good. Thumbsup Thumbsup At the rate you're going, I'll be able to bring along a loco to run instead of some tools to help with the work. Wink Misngth

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - OBJack - 05-29-2010

Congratulations Charlie, you are progressing very nicely. It will be a great place to "recreate" Cheers and build the next Great RR Empire.
But I am very envious of you ability to... A) Have the room to build, and...
....B) Have the expertise to construct it yourself, It must be very satisfying to see it all coming together.

Jack 219

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 05-29-2010

Thanks Guy's for the undeserved praise.
I helped build houses with my 2 brothers, who over the years have built 28 of them in their spare time. (They are too fussy at times).
If I could do 1/87 as well I would be real happy. I want so much to be able to model half as well as you guys. My youngest son is very good at it in "0" Lionel with buildings and locomotives and cars, but I think the talent missed me.
15 years running a real railroad has taught me a lot about the little things, but I'm still not "gonna" do the darned 1/87 paperwork Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-03-2010

I have been playing in the mud for the past week. All the joints are taped, but not finished. I need several more coats of mud to level them out.
I have been putting it on in thin layers so I don't have much sanding to do.
I have my little model room ready for paint, and I hope to paint that tomorrow, just to break the monotony.
My arms feel like I can scratch my toes without bending over. Icon_lol
One other fringe benefit is the weight loss, I'm down 32 pounds in 2 months, and my legs are not hurting any more.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 06-03-2010

Charlie B Wrote:One other fringe benefit is the weight loss, I'm down 32 pounds in 2 months, and my legs are not hurting any more.
Charlie

That's awesome! And it is a "working" weight loss - the best kind. My dad is building a whole house, but since he is a skinny guy he had to double his caloric intake just to maintain weight Icon_lol Construction wears one out! You are doing a great job. I'd never want to hang drywall myself Icon_lol

Re: Charlie b's layout - Will_Annand - 06-04-2010

Charlie B Wrote:I have my little model room ready for paint, and I hope to paint that tomorrow, just to break the monotony.
My arms feel like I can scratch my toes without bending over. Icon_lol
One other fringe benefit is the weight loss, I'm down 32 pounds in 2 months, and my legs are not hurting any more.
Charlie

Charlie, here is hoping you finish the project before you lose so much weight that you disappear. Goldth

Remember to Popcornbeer so you don't waste away.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-04-2010

Remembering to eat is not a problem. Icon_lol I still want to drop another 45 pounds then I'll be at mu suggested weight.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-04-2010

The room looks nice and huge, Charlie. I'm glad you are able to do all this - it's fun seeing someone else working on something similar to mine. Also, congrats on losing the weight, but how come I didn't lose any when I was building mine?? Looking forward to the completion of the building and the beginning of the new layout.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-11-2010

Well, we have had a week of off again on again rain and it has been a bear.
I was using an old right of way in to our place (we bought it 2 years ago) and the land owner finally shut it down (I knew we couldn't use it legally). My right of way is an alley in front of the house that I was planning on using anyway (too many problems with this neighbor), just not right now, but now it turned into a must do project so I'm building 200 feet of driveway, which involved putting a 12 inch culvert pipe in by hand, and now I'm just waiting for the other next door neighbor to spread 100 ton of stone for the base (they are into bike racing, so they are at the races this weekend), and then I'll have some 57 grade limestone spread. I should be done Tuesday, but, needless to say, the train room has taken a back seat.
Charlie