Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-11-2010

200 feet :o Sad

Well, have fun with the new driveway.... wait, maybe you could do one of those squatter's rights kind of things on the old driveway?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-11-2010

Gary S Wrote:200 feet :o Sad

Well, have fun with the new driveway.... wait, maybe you could do one of those squatter's rights kind of things on the old driveway?
Gary, I was planning a 6 foot chain link fence with barb wire on top between him and us. The property is not lived in because there is no septic system and it is only a tiny lot. He bought it after we bought this place, it all used to be owned by the same guy. He had the well, we had the septic system, which was new.
I put in a well, and I was not about to allow him to use the septic system because I am not a nice guy. (It's illegal). I didn't buy that place (7500 was the sale price) because it was a very old place, actually poorly remodeled, and the taxes are over 1200 bucks a year. My place is small, but built in '97 and very energy efficient, and even with the acre of ground the taxes are only 800 a year, and with the homestead exemption I had them reduced to 400, although they will go back up with the building.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 06-11-2010

Charlie B Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:200 feet :o Sad

Gary, I was planning a 6 foot chain link fence with barb wire on top between him and us. The property is not lived in because there is no septic system and it is only a tiny lot. He bought it after we bought this place, it all used to be owned by the same guy. He had the well, we had the septic system, which was new.
I put in a well, and I was not about to allow him to use the septic system because I am not a nice guy. (It's illegal). I didn't buy that place (7500 was the sale price) because it was a very old place, actually poorly remodeled, and the taxes are over 1200 bucks a year. My place is small, but built in '97 and very energy efficient, and even with the acre of ground the taxes are only 800 a year, and with the homestead exemption I had them reduced to 400, although they will go back up with the building.
Charlie

That is not the first time I have heard of someone having driveway/access road problems with their property. And you and Gary are definitely right, there are weird little legal nuances. There was an article in the local paper a few years back about a woman whose only access to her property was via a utility access road, and the utility wanted to close it off. I also had a co-worker who had a neighbor gate off the access to her property because the access road crossed his property. I think she told me she had to get a court order for the neighbor to allow access, because that was the ONLY way to access her property, and the road existed before the property was subdivided. But in my opinion, if there is another way to access your property without crossing the neighbors, you are doing the right thing by developing it rather than having to constantly deal with that jerk.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-11-2010

I agree with Kevin. Even if there were some legal way to continue using the drive, it wouldn't be worth dealing with the ire of the neighbor.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-11-2010

Well, my wife worked for a civil engineer for years and did a lot of surveying too, so we knew when we bought the property that we had legal access, and in our state, you can't transfer a deed to land locked property. The alley is a 20 foot right of way off of the main side street that runs between our business neighbor and the old folks on the main road. It dead ends at our property line.
Of course the township trustee would not come right out and tell the neighbor at the end of the alley on the other side that we had a legal right of way, so I had to go to the county engineers office and get the paperwork that shows the alley was platted and accepted in 1917. I told this fellow the day I bought the place that it was an alley and he tried to tell me it wasn't. I find it rather funny that he has been using it as an alley for 52 years, going past 5 other properties.
He has been parking in the middle of this alley for 52 years, now I think it real strange that he made all of this fuss because he has a double wide driveway with a turn around and double car garage that comes off the main road. I think he thinks I should just give him my property. Icon_lol
They all tell me how they were going to buy this place, which had been on the market for over a year, and they could afford it, I think they just figured no one would buy it without a drive way, and I found out they even convinced a buyer before us that the alley was not an alley and killed the sale. That was my gain.
What it boils down to is we payed 15,000 for a newer home and an acre of reasonably level ground. I had to drill a well, and do some work but I'll still be under 30, 000 even with the drive and our train building.
Most of the work was just labor, cutting grass, cutting grass, cutting grass, Icon_lol I think you get the point.
Here are some pictures of the place they day we closed.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - OBJack - 06-12-2010

Coming along nicely Charlie, but I guess it isn't any good having the best little train shed in the west if you can't get to it. Goldth

Aha, Looks like a bit more weight loss in all the digging for the culvert pipe, so if you look on the bright side, the sabbatical from the building didn't interrupt your slimming technique. 357

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-12-2010

OBJack Wrote:Coming along nicely Charlie, but I guess it isn't any good having the best little train shed in the west if you can't get to it. Goldth

Aha, Looks like a bit more weight loss in all the digging for the culvert pipe, so if you look on the bright side, the sabbatical from the building didn't interrupt your slimming technique. 357

You are right Jack. and I'm down another 10 pounds.
I went with my friend that is hauling the limestone and when we weighed the truck inbound he asked me if I weighed 180. That was the difference in the light weight of his truck. I remember when scales might be within 200 pounds, now they are right on the button.
I went to check out the limestone mine, lots of ballast in 1/87 available.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 06-12-2010

Charlie B Wrote:... What it boils down to is we payed 15,000 for a newer home and an acre of reasonably level ground. I had to drill a well, and do some work but I'll still be under 30, 000 even with the drive and our train building. Most of the work was just labor ... Here are some pictures of the place they day we closed. Charlie

Charlie ... You can't be serious!! You got that place for $15,000? Confusedhock: And some land, TOO?!! And this place is in THIS country ... The U.S. of A.??? Good God!! I didn't know that was still possible!!! This is 2010 isn't it? We didn't slip through a time warp to 1962 did we? Confusedhock: :? :?

The house looks very nice! How many square feet are hidden in it?

I'm sorry, but I had to pick my dentures up off the floor, where they fell when my jaw dropped wide open! $15K isn't even considered an acceptable down payment here! Maybe I'm living in the wrong area! (But it's true we don't have any state income tax, or snow to shovel or heating oil or winter coats to buy, or ...) 8-) Big Grin

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-12-2010

Bil, I'm so jealous of you. I don't have my dentures yet..(might have a little to do with weight loss Misngth ).
The house is quite small, only 4 rooms, (and I had to put a wall in the garage to make it 4). The electric service alone is worth about half of that. 200 amp.
There was only 544 sq ft of living area and I took another 170 from the garage for a computer/laundry room. (another unfinished project Goldth )
I still have a 17x22 garage (big enough for the car once the train building is done).
It is exactly what we were hunting, and the dogs love it too, and it will be much better once the grading is done next week and I can fence a much bigger area for them to roam around.

Re: Charlie b's layout - Gary S - 06-13-2010

Charlie, you did good. We were "lucky" in our home transactions too. Of course, we stuck to the old wisdom of "don't live within your means, live under your means". It sure served us well. Our original home was an older fixer-upper that we got for a steal, fixed it up and paid it off, then sold it for double what we paid. Then we took that money and put in on the house we live in now. Had the builder do the "dried-in shell", complete on the exterior, and I did everything on the inside. Haven't had a house payment in 12 years now, and I love it!! It's a great thing being debt free. Smile

Like you said, what you have is just right for you. Land, a roof over your head, and enough funds to build a train building too. Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-14-2010

We had some rain today, though not much, but enough to delay the driveway project a day so I did a little mudding in the big room and got the little model building room painted. Now for the wood work and the door, white floor covering and a white counter top to work on so I might find one or two parts when they fly out of my grasp. Icon_lol Here is a picture of the little room for what it is worth.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-15-2010

Hi guys, We had a good day here.
I was up early this morning and worked on the drywall joints in the building, and the fellows in the shop next door brought their skid steer over and spread the 50 tons of limestone we already had on site. He skimmed the topsoil off and then spread the stone. I'm having another 50 ton of fine limestone delivered and we will spread that on top tomorrow if we don't get too much rain tonight. I have had my truck in and out, but it isn't quite ready for the car, but the car is out on the main street so I'll just leave it there another day or two.
With one exception here, I have the best neighbors I have ever had. That of course doesn't count Schenley because they were all friends.
I figure I should have the drywall ready for paint in another week, then we can commence building a layout. 2285_ 2285_
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 06-15-2010

Ah! The gently curving Entry Drive of the Landed Gentry! Big Grin

Seriously ... lookin' good there, Charlie! I like the way it winds in to the property ... No straight lookie-lou's in from the street to see the train building! Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 06-15-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:Ah! The gently curving Entry Drive of the Landed Gentry! Big Grin

Seriously ... lookin' good there, Charlie! I like the way it winds in to the property ... No straight lookie-lou's in from the street to see the train building! Thumbsup
But soon will be available in an new aerial view from Google Earth. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - P5se Camelback - 06-15-2010

Shades of "1984!" 8-) Icon_lol Confusedhock: