On18 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Narrow Gauge, Logging and Mining (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: On18 (/showthread.php?tid=408)

Pages: 1 2

On18 - Tyson Rayles - 01-01-2009

Those that remember me from my time at the Big Blue know I model in N scale. At another forum we had a challenge to build a layout in a shoebox. When faced with such a small space what does a confirmed N scaler do? Why switch to a BIGGER scale of course! Icon_lol Now before you ask what has Tyson been smoking these days rest assured there is a method to my madness! I decided to go with On18. Why, because 18" gauge in O figures out to be real close to N scale so that would solve the problem of track and any switches that would be needed. I would have to scratch the loco and ore car bodies of course. The challenge definition of a layout is you have to be able to switch a car from one track to another or make laps or both. I choose to go with a simple (and I mean simple 35 ) mining scene. The figures are from Arrtistta but pretty much everything else is scratched. First a couple of overall shots:

Re: On18 - Tyson Rayles - 01-01-2009

And a few close-ups:

And one last shot. My regular layout is still N scale and I don't plan on switching but these little minis are a fun way to try new things and or scales and a way to renew your love for the hobby when/if things are getting stale.

Re: On18 - Sumpter250 - 01-01-2009

That!!!, is Sweet!
18" gauge, in a shoe box?....... Cheers Cheers Cheers

Re: On18 - ngauger - 01-01-2009

That is so Cool!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Cheers Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup

I love those kind of dioramas Big Grin

Glad you posted it.. How long did that take to build??????

Re: On18 - Ralph - 01-01-2009

Wow Tyson, that's great! Nicely done!
Ralph

Thanks guys glad you like it. 2285_

Re: On18 - LynnB - 01-01-2009

Now this kind if project would be relaxing , opposite of overwhelming Icon_lol
Nice job.

Re: On18 - Drew - 01-01-2009

Hi Tyson!
Kinda cool running into you over here...it's like old times!

Love the shoebox!
I hadn't seen it since you added the building...The whole thing looks fantastic!
How are you liking working with all that 'O'-versized detail? You seem to be handling it just fine! Thumbsup

Re: On18 - AF350 - 01-01-2009

Now that is what I call narrow gauge Worship Cheers Thumbsup

Thanks guys! Drew , thanks for the kind words. O scale is nice but I still like N better. I think we both got started out in cyber world modeling on the Big Blue and while I have only so much time to spend on the net , now that the new "Gauge" is back in the hands of modelers and not pencil pushers I will stop by as often as I can. Thumbsup

Re: On18 - jmarksbery - 01-01-2009

You know that I luv it Mike. And it does seem like old times here. As you guyz know I am busy on another forum but I do stop here to admire the great modeling.

N gauger I'm sorry I missed your question. I would guess I have about 60 hours in it. Wasted 12=15 hours on the loco alone!
Somebody that knew what they were doing could probably knock it out in a few nights. Thanks Jim, I know you do and you know that other forum is one of my favorite places! Cheers

Re: On18 - Drew - 01-02-2009

Tyson Rayles Wrote:... now that the new "Gauge" is back in the hands of modelers and not pencil pushers I will stop by as often as I can. Thumbsup

I'll drink to that! Cheers

Re: On18 - Sumpter250 - 01-02-2009

Quote:now that the new "Gauge" is back in the hands of modelers and not pencil pushers I will stop by as often as I can. Thumbsup

Cheers That!, is a most appreciated compliment!!!

Thank You Mike, it is good to see you here!