Freelance 2012 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=4637)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: Freelance 2012 - SSWUPinSA - 02-08-2012

Nooo no no no no!

YOU CANNOT MAKE COKE CANS THAT GOOD AND THEN NOT TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THEM!!!

Icon_lol

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-08-2012

SSWUPinSA Wrote:Nooo no no no no!

YOU CANNOT MAKE COKE CANS THAT GOOD AND THEN NOT TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THEM!!!

Icon_lol
Take an Evergreen tube #223 (diameter 0.93"/2.4mm) and paint as much as you like Coke-red. Handle it rough to "destroy" parts the red paint on two sides to let the white styrene shine through (that simulates the white printing). Cut pieces as much as you like (I used my chopper II). Put some aluminum paint in a e.g. Coke cap and grab the little red pieces with a pair of tweezers and dip the ends in the aluminum paint. That's it Big Grin

ps. The cans are not to scale. They are to large but I used the Evergreen tube I had.

shortliner Wrote:Plastic from a real plastic bag,( a single layer) about the size of those brown paper bags, with a U-shape out of one narrow end to leave the handles each side. and a squiggle of paint on it would make those carrier bags that the supermarkjets use, that you see decorrating bushes and fences. ....
Jack, I did not get the idea how to do the handles. Could you add two more sentences about that topic please.

Re: Freelance 2012 - Steve Williams - 02-08-2012

I think what Jack meant is this:

I'm sure he will correct me if I have misunderstood :-)

Re: Freelance 2012 - Russ Bellinis - 02-08-2012

Most of those plastic grocery bags are pretty much torn up and such after blowing around in the wind I think small bits of plastic torn off of a grocery bag wadded up and glued to the scene will suffice to simulate the grocery bags. You won't generally find new pristine bags laying around on the ground.

Re: Freelance 2012 - shortliner - 02-08-2012

Steve got it in one - - you can do it as a square -bottomed U shape to leave a handle at each side - some narrow strips torn off raggedly and crumpled up will look good draped on fences where they have blown in the wind and ripped apart. If you have pallets stacked around, take a small piece of duct tape, and get rid of as much of the "sticky" as you can, then slice it into VERY narrow strips and either bundle it or leave it as a loose strip - it makes a good simulation of the plastic or metal banding remove when unloading goods from the pallets

Ok, thanks a lot. I do understand now your suggestion how to make grocery bags. Next step is to explain my fingers and eyes what to do...

btw. If you want to see millions of plastic bag hanging in wire fences you must go to Egypt. It is unbelievable how much plastic bags are driven by the dessert wind through the country and end up finally in the fences along roads, airports and all military installations. Same is true for plastic bottles at all public beaches not managed by a hotel under international management.

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-09-2012

Be carefully, even in a team of two might be one dummy Big Grin

[Image: IMG_1216.jpg?t=1328813260]

Re: Freelance 2012 - Southern Tuxedo - 02-10-2012

Reinhard,

That last picture looks awesome, especially since it contains CF7's which I just love.

Mark

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 02-10-2012

Great Pic !

Re: Freelance 2012 - Len Turner - 02-10-2012

Excellent photo Reinhard! Thumbsup
Reminds me of Saginaw, TX

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-10-2012

Thanks for the kind words.

ps. A model of the Saginaw solos is on Gary for his next building extension 357

Re: Freelance 2012 - fwwrmodeler - 02-10-2012

Reinhard and others,

I know that you've done some long buildings, can you expand on what you've done? On my FWWR layout that i'm modeling is a industrial area with a lot of large warehouses building that are at least 36 inchs long. Having a bit of a problen finding sheet styrene long enough to make this seemless. Do you build cores of a small size and glue them together or what? Im currently getting ready to start building a few background warehouses that are 2 inchs deep and approx 40 inchs long, any recamindations?

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-10-2012

fwwrmodeler Wrote:Reinhard and others,

I know that you've done some long buildings, can you expand on what you've done? On my FWWR layout that i'm modeling is a industrial area with a lot of large warehouses building that are at least 36 inchs long. Having a bit of a problen finding sheet styrene long enough to make this seemless. Do you build cores of a small size and glue them together or what? Im currently getting ready to start building a few background warehouses that are 2 inchs deep and approx 40 inchs long, any recamindations?

The largest styrene sheet I can buy is 40' * 20' (1m * 0,5m). That would fit your planned building. I glue a long strip of wood 0.4' * 0.4' * 40' from the home improvement market on the backside of the long floppy styrene front. That costs a lot of gel CA glue.

This photo shows the inside of a long structure. The lower one got a wood strip to keep it's basic shape.
[Image: Img_0705.jpg?t=1305361623]

That is the front.
[Image: Img_0626.jpg?t=1303663210]

This is the longest building I did. It is composed of four parts each 30' long with a hidden wood stick. Next was to join two two part assemblies with a two roofs. The rear part of the roofs covers two more wood sticks. Ending up with two quite stable units 60' each. That two final units have been glued together for alignment reason only. I could not get a nice seamless front if I only "put" them together. I needed my wife to move the whole unit is place on the layout. Sorry, I have no photos from the rear.

[Image: Img_0389.jpg?t=1288603995]

Re: Freelance 2012 - ngaugingnut - 02-10-2012

Nice bracing work, Reinhard. Thumbsup

I have a question: for building flats on the backdrop or anytime you are "cutting" off a building lengthwise to make it fit against a backdrop, what do you do at the ends of the building? Looking straight on at the long side is okay since you expect to see blue sky above a building, but if you look at it from the end it looks like the building is really cut in half and missing the other part (which it is but we want the illusion that the building is bigger than what we've modeled).

I see Reinhard and others have simply butted buildings together to reduce this effect but what about buildings that are different heights? The lower building won't cover up the "missing" part of the taller building.

I believe Gary S. had these issues as well - I might have to check out his threads on painting his backdrops again to see how he overcame them.

Thanks in advance.