Freelance 2012 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=4637)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: Freelance 2012 - clearwater - 02-14-2012

Reinhard,

it is terrific what you made from your old layout - great! go ahead!

Thomas

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-15-2012

My flat gray roofs never satisfied me. Thomas/clearwater's fine drawn roof inspired me. But my buildings are already glued in place and my back would be very upset leaning over to draw all the lines. My idea was to do a "wallpaper/roofpaper" with Photoshop on standard paper and glue it on the roof. It lacks the fine irregularities so typical for the prototype and Thomas's roof.

[Image: IMG_1240.jpg?t=1329350848]

This is the 15cm * 25cm (5.9" * 9.8") pattern I used. It is made with a 1cm (0.39") raster. I have also a 3.6MB psd File but photobucket refused the upload. Drop me a mail if you want a copy.

[Image: Roof-4.jpg?t=1329350553]

ps. My grain bins did not arrive today... Sad

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 02-15-2012

Looks good!

Re: Freelance 2012 - clearwater - 02-16-2012

faraway Wrote:My flat gray roofs never satisfied me. Thomas/clearwater's fine drawn roof inspired me....
... It lacks the fine irregularities so typical for the prototype and Thomas's roof.
Goldth Goldth Goldth

Hi Reinhard,

take a #0 paint brush, a little model color grey and follow the lines by hand, then you will have
the irregularities you want. After that I suggest making a little wash with diluted color and a big
paintbrush - it will look more alive!

regards Thomas

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-16-2012

The bins arrived today. That completes the basic structures and I can work on the details.

[Image: IMG_1241.jpg?t=1329396883]

@Thomas, problem is the HP Inkjet ink is not water resistance at all. That prohibits any fluid paint like a wash. I will use some powder to tone it down (as far as my back permits...). However, I agree "something" has to be done to improve the appearance.

Re: Freelance 2012 - fast car - 02-16-2012

faraway Wrote:The bins arrived today. That completes the basic structures and I can work on the details.

[Image: IMG_1241.jpg?t=1329396883]

@Thomas, problem is the HP Inkjet ink is not water resistance at all. That prohibits any fluid paint like a wash. I will use some powder to tone it down (as far as my back permits...). However, I agree "something" has to be done to improve the appearance.

Reinhard,

You may want to try sealing the inkjet ink with the same spray that is used to seal inkjet ink on decal paper. I'm not sure if it will run on normal paper, but it does fix ink jet ink to gloss plastic sheets. There will be a shine, but one it dries nail it with dull cote and then try a wash. This worked when I did my Padnos Logistics decals with Micro Soft Word.

Larry

fast car Wrote:....You may want to try sealing the inkjet ink with the same spray....

To late.. The roof covering paper is glued to the buildings and the buildings are glued to the layout. I did think about dull coat on printouts last night but it was a stormy and rainy night prohibiting any rattle can action on the balcony Sad

Some time later:

We got this afternoon surprisingly pleasant weather well above freezing point and low wind with some sun shine. I toke the chance, removed all buildings and did a layer of dull coat. Do you see the bubbles... There was a lot of crack noise when the dull coat hit the roofs. I am not so sure it the glue likes the dull coat... We will see

[Image: IMG_1242.jpg?t=1329404450]

Re: Freelance 2012 - Steve Williams - 02-16-2012

For what it's worth, I have attempted a felt roof with chippings by brushing on mid to pale matt grey paint and then immediately sprinkling a copious amount of white pepper. press well into the paint (trying not to sneeze), and then wait until thoroughly dry. Collect surplus pepper and then give quite a firm brushing with a small flat bristle artists brush to get any remaining loose pepper off the surface. See below.

faraway Wrote:
fast car Wrote:....You may want to try sealing the inkjet ink with the same spray....

To late.. The roof covering paper is glued to the buildings and the buildings are glued to the layout. I did think about dull coat on printouts last night but it was a stormy and rainy night prohibiting any rattle can action on the balcony Sad

Some time later:

We got this afternoon surprisingly pleasant weather well above freezing point and low wind with some sun shine. I toke the chance, removed all buildings and did a layer of dull coat. Do you see the bubbles... There was a lot of crack noise when the dull coat hit the roofs. I am not so sure it the glue likes the dull coat... We will see

[Image: IMG_1242.jpg?t=1329404450]

Reinhard,

Not sure how dullcote would work on paper before spraying on the inkjet ink sealer, but it is definately lifting the paper. I used dullcote after the inkjet ink sealer it worked fine. The ink sealer is a gloss lacquer in a spray that is lightly fogged on usually in three separate light coats. I placed in a link to Kurts roof that was done with sandpaper that is similar to what you are trying to do.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1661&start=30">viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1661&start=30</a><!-- l -->

Larry

I draw the line free hand with a permanent black marker, used black and brown powder and sealed it with a final dull coat. It is better than the first but still far away from Thomas's and Kurt's roof.

I tried a black wash but the dull coat did not totally protect the ink and I had to stop.

I did not know there is a special injet ink sealer available. Will have a look for it next time I am in a computer shop.

I will try another approach next time doing roofs
- draw the basic lines thin with the computer as alternative I may try sand paper as Kurt did as a base
- add the final uneven lines by hand
- add weathering etc.
- seal it with dull coat
- produce as much photo copies as need for the roofs.

[Image: IMG_1243.jpg?t=1329410127]

faraway Wrote:I draw the line free hand with a permanent black marker, used black and brown powder and sealed it with a final dull coat. It is better than the first but still far away from Thomas's and Kurt's roof.

I tried a black wash but the dull coat did not totally protect the ink and I had to stop.

I did not know there is a special injet ink sealer available. Will have a look for it next time I am in a computer shop.

I will try another approach next time doing roofs
- draw the basic lines thin with the computer as alternative I may try sand paper as Kurt did as a base
- add the final uneven lines by hand
- add weathering etc.
- seal it with dull coat
- produce as much photo copies as need for the roofs.

[Image: IMG_1243.jpg?t=1329410127]

Reinhard,

Not sure if you will find ink jet ink sealer at a computer store. Its definately necessary when making decals using a inkjet printer to seal the ink to the decal paper. The ink will simply wash off once you place the decal in the water.

Re: Freelance 2012 - Gary S - 02-16-2012

What about printing new roof paper on the computer, but this time weather it in your photoshop program first?

Gary S Wrote:What about printing new roof paper on the computer, but this time weather it in your photoshop program first?

That is a good way to learn a little bit more of Photoshop. However, the buildings are back on the layout but they are not glued in place. I may later come back to the topic "roof". I need a better solution for the next rework at latest!

Re: Freelance 2012 - Harry - 02-16-2012

Super Reinhard Thumbsup

Tar residues to make a little thinner and looks better. [Image: gruebel.gif]

(my bad english ??? ) :oops:

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-17-2012

Made some progress with the grain elevator complex.

[Image: IMG_1248.jpg?t=1329474674]

ps. The surface to be covered with corrugated steel is not small and the only glue is gel CA. It stinks like hell and burn in nose and eyes. I had some intense allergic problems last night (and still now). I suggest you should not do such work in a small room in winter with closed windows.