Freelance 2012 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=4637)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-17-2012

fast car Wrote:...Not sure how dullcote would work on paper before spraying on the inkjet ink sealer, but it is definately lifting the paper. I used dullcote after the inkjet ink sealer it worked fine. The ink sealer is a gloss lacquer in a spray that is lightly fogged on usually in three separate light coats. I placed in a link to Kurts roof that was done with sandpaper that is similar to what you are trying to do....

Larry, I did not know there is a special inkjet sealer. I did use my standard dull coat when I did my home made decals.
The link to Kurt's roofs is very helpful. I am not so sure if my approach can lead to equal results.

ps. All ugly papers have been removed from the roofs and the interims gray is restored.

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 02-17-2012

Nice looking grain complex!

Re: Freelance 2012 - fast car - 02-17-2012

faraway Wrote:
fast car Wrote:...Not sure how dullcote would work on paper before spraying on the inkjet ink sealer, but it is definately lifting the paper. I used dullcote after the inkjet ink sealer it worked fine. The ink sealer is a gloss lacquer in a spray that is lightly fogged on usually in three separate light coats. I placed in a link to Kurts roof that was done with sandpaper that is similar to what you are trying to do....

Larry, I did not know there is a special inkjet sealer. I did use my standard dull coat when I did my home made decals.
The link to Kurt's roofs is very helpful. I am not so sure if my approach can lead to equal results.

ps. All ugly papers have been removed from the roofs and the interims gray is restored.

This is what is sold by Micro Mark as a ink jet ink fixitive and it works very well. It is sold in Home Depot, Michaels Crafts or most other craft stores. I suggest four uniform coats over the top of the decal. It drys glossy, but after the decal is applied and is completely dry, it can be overlayed with Dullcote.

I had some issues with the Micro Mark decal paper and prefer the Testors since the film is heavier and the adhesive on the film is thicker. Micro Mark decals floated of the backing paper very fast, but there was little adhesive remaining to keep the decal from curling. Testors decals took about 40 seconds longer to release from the backing paper, but the thicker film along with the thicker adhesive, keeps the edges from curling.

When making my own railroad crossbucks I used the Micro Mark paper and had the same issues. I eventually applied a very diluted Elmers white glue to the crossbuck sections and then set the "RAIL ROAD CROSSING decals into the diluted glue with good results.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.micromark.com">www.micromark.com</a><!-- w -->

[Image: 82858_R.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-17-2012

The grain elevator complex is about to be completed. Need to do the flexible end part of the spout.

[Image: IMG_1251.jpg?t=1329523536]

[Image: IMG_1252.jpg?t=1329523535]

Re: Freelance 2012 - FCIN - 02-18-2012

That grain elevator complex is really looking good! Sure reminds me of many similar grain/feed/fertilizer dealers that I've seen in the mid-west. Since no two of them are alike, yours certainly has it's own unique look. During the harvest season, you can ship out the grain and then in the planting season, you'd get covered hoppers of fertilizer and tank cars of anhydrous ammonia. Depending on how diversified the dealer is, they may might even get covered hoppers of animal/poultry feed and tank cars of molasses.

Re: Freelance 2012 - bnsffan - 02-19-2012

Just amazing how fast you have changed the theme of your layout from the West to somewhere in the Mid-West.
I like this grain elevator and I love covered hoppers so this is another "must have" on my soon to be built layout.

Daniel

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-19-2012

bnsffan Wrote:...changed the theme of your layout from the West to somewhere in the Mid-West....
Daniel, I did search several days in the internet to understand how far west grain elevators go. It is amazing how far they go west (e.g. all over Texas and even into NM). It must be a hard job to run a farm in an area where most agriculture business is ranch business. They got the sun for free and have plenty of water at some places at west Texas. Everything else is done with sprinkler and fertilizer.
But I did also do a small step backwards this morning. The two bins and the conveyor have been removed. They are too much and did not match into the skyline and were out of proportion.

[Image: IMG_1258.jpg?t=1329691149]

However, there is still a chance to go Mid-West. But that would require to run my Noch Grass Master and get lots of green on the sand.... I have the wonderful book "Wheat Lines and Super Freight, Santa Fe in Color Series Volume 2". It covers mainly Kansas and is all about trains and elevators.

ps. six weeks to go to give you a call Wink

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-21-2012

Last details finished
[Image: IMG_1261.jpg?t=1329818552]

Re: Freelance 2012 - alcanman - 02-21-2012

Looks great Reinhard,

I think you were right to remove the grain bins and piping. Although the grain bins looked good, the very high piping was visually distracting taking the eye
away from the superb grain elevator and storage buildings.

Excellent work!

regards,

Mal

shortliner Wrote:This is it sitting on the tripod - it is so small that you just fold the legs to put the camera in its case

My tripod arrived from GB some minutes ago. It is very handy and useful! I mounted it to the camera and it will stay there. Many thanks for the pointer Thumbsup

Re: Freelance 2012 - shortliner - 02-21-2012

No problem, Reinhard - I found it by accident looking at a review for the camera, and it was a little advert on the side of the page.
I'm sure you will find it usefulb Thumbsup
Best
Jack

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 02-21-2012

The elevator without the bins looks great!

The topic "roof" has been closed unsatisfactory last week.
It has been restarted with an old version of fine gravel glued on the roof with plain while wood glue.
The next topic is a roof similar to Kurt's explanation. It is important to follow his advise and use waterproof sandpaper. I ignored his advise and the water of the glue soaking through the paper ruined the glue. Had to do it today again after shopping for waterproof sand paper. The black pen is a critical device too. I did ruin five yesterday because they needed some pressure for a good ink flow. That ruins the tip after 1 to 2 inch.. I did get another one "Edding 8405" that flow fine without any pressure. It should be resistant to almost everything. What a bloody lie. Black wash with and without alcohol as well as any paint ruined the black line and let it bleed. Hat to redo one roof with a new layer of basic gray.
I did try Kurt's tip to sand the sandpaper. Funny thing, no effect at all except a bunch of gray dustl. I will give it another try tomorrow. I did also try Thomas method to draw the black line with a very fine brush. That is not a method made for me (my hand and eye). I ruined the line at once and it became much to fat.

There are two more roofs to go

[Image: IMG_1267.jpg?t=1329856482]

Re: Freelance 2012 - Harry - 02-21-2012

[Image: appl.gif] [Image: appl.gif] Thumbsup good job, Reinhard

Re: Freelance 2012 - shortliner - 02-22-2012

Reinhard - I dont know if this will work, but it might. Put the grey sandpaper in the scanner and scan it and then print the scan giving grey paper - draw the black line grid on the computer with any patches and then print that on the previously made grey paper - it may even be possible to print the grid direct onto the sandpaper in the printer