Freelance 2012 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=4637)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: Freelance 2012 - Mileswestern - 05-07-2012

Reinhart,

I think if you do what modeler Jim Six has been doing by blending his roads into the backdrop, you'll be able to pull it off.

What you should do is 100% match the road on the backdrop in color and roughness (like extending the pavement repairs forward into the modeled road) and matching the striping and line work too.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rRf8EZo_ITg/T24z4FxMqSI/AAAAAAAACF4/whMTaTtJCyY/s1600/201167234444_DSCF7209.jpg">http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rRf8EZo_ITg/T ... CF7209.jpg</a><!-- m -->

(example here) <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/jsix/IMG_68651024.jpg">http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/ ... 651024.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-07-2012

Mileswestern Wrote:Reinhart, I think if you do what modeler Jim Six has been doing by blending his roads into the backdrop, you'll be able to pull it off. ...
That would be the ultimate background. I did play with the color of the road to match the real road surface and got some small success quickly. But the key problem are the sharp bends at the edge of the road. I will have to learn more about Photoshop to solve that problem. I need to change the perspective of the photo (distort it) to have straight lines continuing from the real to the backdrop roads.
The other topic is to learn how to erase objects and replace it's space with the surrounding texture. That is required to get rid of utility poles etc.

Re: Freelance 2012 - shortliner - 05-08-2012

Reinhard, the easiest way to do the second is to stamp over the lampposts with the clone brush - regarding the distortion - I'd do that by reducing the convergence angle between the road edges reather than trying to make them parallel - the ditortion wiill make it loog really odd if you try to make them parallel - the a;ternative may be to force the perspective of youyr modelled road slightly, making it a little narrower where it meets the background, rather that the same width as the front - which will reduce the apparent angle of the printed road on the backscene
Jack

Re: Freelance 2012 - Steamtrains - 05-08-2012

Check out Gary S's "WOOHOO...Good Weather..." thread. He did pretty much what you are looking to do, and pulled it off beautifully....

Good luck..!!

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-10-2012

There is nothing wrong with the east part of my layout as it developed over the last months with the classic brick buildings
[Image: IMG_1480.jpg?t=1336641833]

However, the west part built recently with variations of shoe boxes, open space and light colors is more what I am looking after.......
[Image: IMG_1478.jpg?t=1336641831]

You are welcome to take the buildings if you have travel plans to the Stuttgart area in the near future (they are far to large for shipping).
[Image: IMG_1481.jpg?t=1336643579]

ps. I decided not to proceed with Photoshop in depth. I did read computer literature for decades and will do so starting 10/15 again. I will not allow that "habit" to leak into my hobby!

Re: Freelance 2012 - Southern Tuxedo - 05-10-2012

Oh no! Say it ain't so...!

The good news is that we get to look forward to some more outstanding modeling and I'm sure that we won't have to wait too long.
Popcornbeer

Mark

Southern Tuxedo Wrote:... I'm sure that we won't have to wait too long. ...

Well, I did just order two Pikestuff kits. I love the texture of that walls but Evergreen has nothing close enough. I will plunder Pikestuff kits selected by size and amount of walls only. But I want to have fewer, lighter, less prominent and less dominate buildings. Something more "southwestern" and a nice side effect might be more free space to be used by Gensets... Wink

Re: Freelance 2012 - jwb - 05-10-2012

Why not just hold on to those older buildings and put them back on the layout when the mood hits you? The LA Warehouse district, and other industries in more outlying places like the various tire plants, had buildings very much like the big one you took off. The "shoebox" style is more a function of when it was built than the region. I would also say that one piece of advice the late John Armstrong gave in one of his books is that on a layout, you can't afford to do things twice -- too little space (no matter how much you think you have) and too much to model. One aspect of a layout, for all but micro situations, is the idea of traveling from one place to another. I would strongly consider having one style of structures, scenery, and even era on one side of the layout, and another on the other. But in any case, part of your enjoyment of the hobby is shifting gears frequently, so I'd certainly consider keeping those in reserve (anyhow, I'd otherwise go to my Reisebuero um fahrkarten nach Stuttgart zu reservieren. . .)

jab Wrote:1. Why not just hold on to those older buildings and put them back on the layout when the mood hits you?....2. I would strongly consider having one style of structures, scenery, and even era on one side of the layout, and another on the other.....3. I'd otherwise go to my Reisebuero um fahrkarten nach Stuttgart zu reservieren. . .
1. Well, I would really like to keep the buildings store for some later use. The space is the issue. I am afraid there is none left for those large buildings. I will not put them simply in the trash because they are built from $$$ Cornerstone kits. That is the reason why I am offering them to anybody for free pickup.

The problem with the LA warehouse district is that the buildings I like have no railroad service at all. I did build some of them last year and kept them on the hatch to the entrance door. The "southwest" is not meant so much by the shoe boxes but by the light colors (mainly white for sun reflexion) and the sandy light ground cover. Not very useful as soil in any farming area more up north and east of central Texas.

2. I would like to have two different styles of layout on the two sides of the room. May be I will remove one of the tables blocking the other side of the room when I retire fully. So far it is a storage yard only with no access where no switching takes place.
3. I need flight number and date to pick you up at Stuttgart airport Big Grin

Re: Freelance 2012 - SSWUPinSA - 05-11-2012

Hey Reinhard,

I too am using Heki grass and was wondering what ground foam(grass) you decided to use...wondering if I shouldn't rather make or buy a static grass applicator.... 35

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-11-2012

SSWUPinSA Wrote:Hey Reinhard,

I too am using Heki grass and was wondering what ground foam(grass) you decided to use...wondering if I shouldn't rather make or buy a static grass applicator.... 35

The ground foam is "Woodland blended turf T49 fine". At some locations it did a layer of some autumn colored (green / brown) short grass applied with the Noch Grassmaster. I bought the Grassmaster when I intended to do German green meadows, forests etc. and had no idea about US industrial switching layouts. It is somewhat overkill for me but it works nice.

ps. Your layout is one of the constant reminders to stay with modern shoe boxes...
As the brick goes come the most beautiful switchers back Big Grin
[Image: IMG_1482.jpg?t=1336721147]

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-12-2012

The current planning status of the east wing front industry. Some kind of food industry with tanks, tank trucks and tank cars. I would like to keep the old ramp. It is nice old looking and no manager would accept the high cost of removing a solid concrete ramp without some revenue generating business at that spot.
The background buildings are from the bakery and the piping in the foreground has been reused after it got a sunny white paint job.

[Image: IMG_1483.jpg?t=1336823101]

And that is my current planning how to do the background buildings. The goal is to be mundane, profane and not dominant.
(walls leaning against the backdrop will have a depth of about 1" or less only)

[Image: IMG_1485.jpg?t=1336826294]
[Image: IMG_1486.jpg?t=1336826296]
[Image: IMG_1487.jpg?t=1336826295]

Re: Freelance 2012 - jwb - 05-12-2012

Reinhard, where did you get that tank trailer?

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-12-2012

jwb Wrote:Reinhard, where did you get that tank trailer?

I got it in my next LHS. It is in fact a German model. The brand is "Herpa" and it is named: "Lebensmittelauflieger" (lebensmittel = food, auflieger = trailer). You will find the Herpa parts number 076463. Mine is an older version not on sale anymore.

Re: Freelance 2012 - jwb - 05-12-2012

Thanks very much -- I see Herpa has both a chemical and food (76180) trailer similar to that one.