Freelance 2012 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=4637)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: Freelance 2012 - FCIN - 05-14-2012

modelsof1900 Wrote:Ed, really a large idustrial area! I was "track riding" for a hour or more and at all positions I found new connections and spurs.
I think that I should continue this exploration.
Bernhard;
You can sure spend a lot of time looking in that area! I've spent several hours the past couple of weeks exploring the area in both Bing and Google and it's full of interesting ideas and industries. I regarded that one spur between Tanager and Supply as a real find because of the low height structures, the several short spurs and longer ones that have more than one industry/structure on them. Once again, it caused me to rethink my track plan and I'm glad at this point that I've held off starting "permanent" construction of the layout. As it is, I'm having too much fun testing out my ideas and operating trains on the temporary track arrangements. Plenty of time to make it permanent when I settle on the final arrangement.

Re: Freelance 2012 - lajry - 05-14-2012

That area is between the Santa Fe & UP in Commerce CA. There was one industry (gypsum?) that got MTs from ATSF & loads taken out by UP. Valvoline was on same spur also.

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-14-2012

Started today with the painting and detailing of the other Pikestuff building. It might look less boring if the left and right half belong to different companies and have therefor different details and paint scheme.

[Image: IMG_1492.jpg?t=1337028031]

Re: Freelance 2012 - macmiller - 05-14-2012

Ditto to the speed and overall "finished-ness" that you are now famous for!

I wanted to throw this one in... I have several vendors for my business in the area and like to see all the track snaking thru...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://binged.it/JCxr2W">http://binged.it/JCxr2W</a><!-- m -->

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-15-2012

Some details added and some powder weathering with a layer of dull coat.

[Image: IMG_1494.jpg?t=1337085710]

Re: Freelance 2012 - fast car - 05-15-2012

Reinhard,

The Rix structures look great and the additional details added really set them off. The overhang with the suspended supports are a really nice touch. I have always liked the RIX structures and would like to use a few on my shelf layout. I wish I could work at your pace.

Larry

Re: Freelance 2012 - modelsof1900 - 05-16-2012

Reinhard,
phantastic work - and a very, very good approach to the reality which we could see in the last links of induatrial areas. Congratulation!

Re: Freelance 2012 - FCIN - 05-16-2012

Reinhard;

Very nice treatment of the Rix structures. The blue portion with the canopy and wide concrete dock makes me think of this structure:    

Re: Freelance 2012 - Brakie - 05-16-2012

Reinhard,If I may add this as a observation and perhaps food for thought.

Having work in warehouses as a forklift driver and as a security officer(a fill job till I found a better paying job) I will say any product or shipment left unattended on a dock would go missing..As a forklift operator I had instructions to not leave any product sitting on the dock and has a security officer I had to report such findings.

You see as sad as it is some employees would load it into their vehicles or opportunist thieves * would make off with it in a matter of a few seconds.

*thieves that look for easy pickings so they can grab and run..

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-16-2012

Brakie Wrote:Reinhard,If I may add this as a observation and perhaps food for thought.

Having work in warehouses as a forklift driver and as a security officer(a fill job till I found a better paying job) I will say any product or shipment left unattended on a dock would go missing..As a forklift operator I had instructions to not leave any product sitting on the dock and has a security officer I had to report such findings.

You see as sad as it is some employees would load it into their vehicles or opportunist thieves * would make off with it in a matter of a few seconds.

*thieves that look for easy pickings so they can grab and run..

While I am fencing anyhow I had to react fast Wink
ps. The gate is invisible as an additional safety feature....
[Image: IMG_1495.jpg?t=1337161497]

Some fences and the two new complexes are divided by a strip of green and three trees, but no forrest at all! May be two smaller trees and some bushed are a better choice.
[Image: IMG_1497.jpg?t=1337163666]

That's it. Two trees and some bushes are fine. Some grass and the some sand to hide the hovering building... (that is the source of the water at the dock drying now)
[Image: IMG_1499.jpg?t=1337170969]

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-18-2012

The new switcher explores the opportunities to block the roads Wink

[Image: IMG_1502.jpg?t=1337354310]

Re: Freelance 2012 - jwb - 05-18-2012

Reinhard, do you have any kind of operating scheme, e.g. freight car routing?

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 05-18-2012

jwb Wrote:Reinhard, do you have any kind of operating scheme, e.g. freight car routing?
No, I do not do anything like car cards etc.
The layout is basically a circle around the walls with a four track staging yard on one side without any manual intervention (behind my desk and computer) and the visible part with the small yard and the industry on the other side.

The small yard at the visible part is the logical center of operation. I assume there are at least two lines that meet at the yard and need to exchange cars. The yard has therefor two through tracks and two stub tracks. Most of the trains do also deliver and pickup cars at the local industry (on the layout).
That allows various operating concepts with 1 - 4 RR serving the visible part from the staging yard. Those RR may also serve the industry or a dedicated switcher might do that business.
e.g. A "class 1 (UP/CSX)" passes through the yard and drops and picks up cars. A class 3 RR (LAJ/Corman/FCEN) line meets with the class 1 at the yard and exchanges cars and serves the local industry too. That may be the class 3 local or a dedicated switcher.

Just imagine a virtual cross with the yard and the local industry at the center.

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 05-18-2012

Looking good Reinhard ! Thumbsup

Re: Freelance 2012 - jwb - 05-19-2012

Reinhard, I'd be very interested if you could take us through an opeating cycle with photos.