Freelance 2012 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=4637)

Re: Freelance 2012 - sailormatlac - 01-27-2012

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: It's only been a week!!! Magnificient result! I love your abandonned road! and everything else!

Matt

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 01-27-2012

Thanks a lot for all the kind words!

I did start to play with some bushes. This is a small group of six HEKI 1735 bushes (eight in a package). Those bushes have been used before and have the advantages of being low and robust. The two 0-5-0 switchers working on the layout can hit them hard without unrecoverable damage. Another group of ten is at the very other side. Five packages (40 bushes) are on order to be used in the center part.
I think those kind of bushes can be used as a green accent at a lot of places all over the south without transforming the area into a rain forest.

[Image: IMG_1178.jpg?t=1327670001]

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 01-27-2012

Looks good ! Thumbsup

Re: Freelance 2012 - Gary S - 01-27-2012

Those are some great looking bushes. I need some!

Re: Freelance 2012 - fast car - 01-27-2012

faraway Wrote:Thanks a lot for all the kind words!

I did start to play with some bushes. This is a small group of six HEKI 1735 bushes (eight in a package). Those bushes have been used before and have the advantages of being low and robust. The two 0-5-0 switchers working on the layout can hit them hard without unrecoverable damage. Another group of ten is at the very other side. Five packages (40 bushes) are on order to be used in the center part.
I think those kind of bushes can be used as a green accent at a lot of places all over the south without transforming the area into a rain forest.

[Image: IMG_1178.jpg?t=1327670001]

Nice job on the bushes. Scenic Express doesn't show this part number in their online catalog. It must a Europe thing.
Larry

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 01-27-2012

fast car Wrote:...Scenic Express doesn't show this part number in their online catalog. It must a Europe thing.
Larry
Looks like Heki does not sell all products at all markets. Walthers and Amazone US have Heki but not this part number. Google finds that part number in Germany and UK too. However the bushes are also in Germany short on supply. I had to do an extensive search to find a shop with has at least five of them on stock.

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 01-30-2012

I played around with a layout theme "West of Houston at about 1980" to run my Santa Fe CF7 and GP7u. The stack of containers in one background spot would not be wrong but not the best choice for 1980. A toyed around with a simple structure made of corrugated steel.

[Image: IMG_1182.jpg?t=1327935710]

The corrugated steel needs some explanation. Kurt did a superb structure some month ago using corrugated steel. He pointed me to Campbell #805. I was shocked about he price/size ratio of the sold product. It would be very expensive to build an entire structure from Campbell #805.
A German shop sells corrugated aluminum about 8" * 11.5" for €5.21. My little test structure consumed about a half plate worth a bit more then €2.
The shop is http://architekturbedarf.de Architekturbedarf. Alluminium Wellblech 1mm Part# 8450, 388020. They claim to ship everywhere but I did not see a English version of the web page.
May be this page with all kind of corrugated metal http://www.architekturbedarf.de/Shop/Modellbau1/Zubehoer/Platten/WellblechMetall/wellblechmetall.html makes it easier to use that source.

Re: Freelance 2012 - sailormatlac - 02-01-2012

faraway Wrote:I played around with a layout theme "West of Houston at about 1980" to run my Santa Fe CF7 and GP7u. The stack of containers in one background spot would not be wrong but not the best choice for 1980. A toyed around with a simple structure made of corrugated steel.

[Image: IMG_1182.jpg?t=1327935710]

The corrugated steel needs some explanation. Kurt did a superb structure some month ago using corrugated steel. He pointed me to Campbell #805. I was shocked about he price/size ratio of the sold product. It would be very expensive to build an entire structure from Campbell #805.
A German shop sells corrugated aluminum about 8" * 11.5" for €5.21. My little test structure consumed about a half plate worth a bit more then €2.
The shop is http://architekturbedarf.de Architekturbedarf. Alluminium Wellblech 1mm Part# 8450, 388020. They claim to ship everywhere but I did not see a English version of the web page.
May be this page with all kind of corrugated metal http://www.architekturbedarf.de/Shop/Modellbau1/Zubehoer/Platten/WellblechMetall/wellblechmetall.html makes it easier to use that source.

I like your new structure. Simple, but a classic in itself. Steeped roof sheds are under modelled IMHO even if they are an important feature of any cityscape.

Nice product! I'm actually planning to rebuild the club layout grain elevator and most of the structure is made of corrugated steel. At this point, buying it with commercial parts is a ruinous adventure (it's 9' long and 18 inches high). I've tried corrugated paper sheet CA on styrene backing for a few projects. When small, it works OK, but going larger is a challenge in itself. I should have tried spray glue instead!

Matt

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-01-2012

The bushes (Heki 1735) arrived today. Five packages each of eight bushes have been planted. It is amazing how many bushes could be planted to "fill" the strip between the tracks. The stands are shaped to a peek and pushed into 0.16" holes in the cork without any glue. They can be easy reused. Just pull them out.

[Image: IMG_1185.jpg?t=1328100671]

That is about the view from my seat while operating They are a nice detail between the tracks without interfering switching, uncoupling etc.

[Image: IMG_1187.jpg?t=1328100678]

Re: Freelance 2012 - fast car - 02-01-2012

Reinhard,

Your layout is looking very nice with the additonal bushes. With the price of scenery materials, especially foliage and trees, it is really necessary to get as much use out of these products as one can. I always look forward to seeing your progress.

Larry

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 02-01-2012

Looking good Reinhard, love the angle on the last shot!

Re: Freelance 2012 - bnsffan - 02-01-2012

Hello Reinhard,

Definitively my favorite layout. I love it Thumbsup

"Shoe boxes" and a simple but fine scenery. Just what I need for my next layout, I think that I will copy some of your ideas, if you agree of course Wink

Daniel

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-03-2012

The not rail served industry in the foreground got a little makeup and the paved yard has been shrunk to get a more prototypical distance to the track.

[Image: IMG_1193.jpg?t=1328276591]

Re: Freelance 2012 - Tyson Rayles - 02-03-2012

That last shot would look awesome with a backdrop behind it.

Re: Freelance 2012 - faraway - 02-03-2012

Tyson Rayles Wrote:That last shot would look awesome with a backdrop behind it.
Mike, I did consider a backdrop several time but turned it down. I love the large windows in my home office to get as much light as possible. The layout and fascia already blocks a 1' high strip across the glass door. Another 1' backdrop on top of the layout would be to much for my taste. I love the sun in my office Big Grin