finally building layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: finally building layout (/showthread.php?tid=569)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 02-22-2009

dang,on the second pic i apparently broke off one off one of the braces on the side.ill have to replace that 35 --josh

Re: finally building layout - doctorwayne - 02-22-2009

Hey, Josh, nice to see that reefer again. Wink Goldth
That bridge looks a lot more convincing to me, and you've done a nice job of blending the new parts in with the original span, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: finally building layout - Russ Bellinis - 02-23-2009

You are getting a lot closer, both bridges would still tend to "rack" lengthwise under load. Think of a card table with no folding braces. The braces on the first bridge would work better if the bracing between the upper and lower stringers went full length to fully triangulate the bridge into a truss. Then the bracing between the legs and the bridge should start about 1/2 way up the leg or so and go directly to the center of the span.

On the second bridge you should add braces between the outside legs and the inside legs of the bridge so that the entire bridge is one piece. You need to have it so that if you pick it up to install it in the layout without ties or track, the bridge is a one piece structure. Think in terms of the bridge supporting the track and not vice versa.

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 02-24-2009

ok russ,i see what your saying.the first bridge i kinda want to leave looking rickety,it helps convay that it was thrown together by some backs wods loggers Misngth but i understand it would probably be rather wobbly lengthwise Confusedhock: .and the second bridge i just have to attach the boards from the trestle portion to the bridge correct? i didnt think it needed it since it was only 2 pieces of a trestle but i guess i was wrong. i shall correct Worship bridge god Icon_lol .
i have also started to finish my mill and il post some more pics tonight. im kinda skipping around between builds to keep my interest.so tell me if you guys start to get confused at all my random pics Misngth --jos

Re: finally building layout - nachoman - 02-24-2009

hey, those bridges look awesome!

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 02-26-2009

heres some pics of the spot where the bridges will go,its just a small canyon with 2 small waterfalls and a pond.its the only place i've scenicked as of yet Misngth ,but i hope to have track down soon but i ran out of code 70 joiners so im trying to solder it by hand and it SUCKS so it'll be slow going till then.but it will give me more time to scratchbuild though Cheers --josh

[Image: overalllayoutshots007.jpg]

heres where that diorama will fit,i decided to use it as a liftout

[Image: overalllayoutshots008.jpg]

Re: finally building layout - Steve - 03-01-2009

Josh...
Excellent work on...everything! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
I have book-marked your thread so I can follow your progress. Keep up the great work!

Re: finally building layout - viperman - 03-03-2009

Those bridges look great, and like you said, put to gether by the loggers themselves

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 03-03-2009

thanks steve and steve Misngth .i wont have pics for a while because my dad needs his cam back.but i did finally get all the flooring done on my sawmill Cheers .it took forever to do but the look of the floor is great.ill post pics as soon as i can.--josh

Re: finally building layout - LiveSteamer - 03-04-2009

Cool. Thumbsup Make any headway on it?

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 03-04-2009

i did make some progress on the layout,im still waiting on code 70 rail joiners Curse ,its amazing how something so simple can stop you dead in your tracks (sorry,had to make that joke Misngth Goldth ). so in the meantime i've still been building stuff for the mill.i have an edger done,the log ramp done and am starting on the cutoff saw and bark stripper.but does anyone know what color i should paint them? i did the edger in black and a red oxide color,does that sound correct?--josh

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 03-22-2009

ok,so i havent forgotten about this thread,i still dont have the cam back so i cant post pics but i layed some more track (without joiners) ,i didnt feel like waiting so i used small strips of brass to hold them together ,so as you can tell i really want to run some trains Thumbsup .and since every turnout and every piece of track has a wire there hasnt been any electrical problems (although i do apparently need to work on a few engines Misngth ,little stiff after 3 yrs of no use)id also like to find some pre-made C70 turnouts,its a real pain building all these CV turnouts by hand Curse . once the track is laid expect a jump to the sawmill side of the layout,i have the urge to build some structures and finish my wharf Thumbsup .--josh

Re: finally building layout - Russ Bellinis - 03-24-2009

I just checked my Walthers catalog and Micro Engineering and Shinohara both offer r-t-r turnouts in code 70. Micro Engineering only offers #6 & #8 while Shinohara offers them in #4 as well.

Re: finally building layout - nachoman - 03-24-2009

Bigsteel Wrote:i did make some progress on the layout,im still waiting on code 70 rail joiners

I use atlas code 80 n-scale joiners for my code 70 rail. They are a little loose, but a slight squeeze with the needlenose pliers solves that. Plus, they are cheaper, and more readily available.

Re: finally building layout - Bigsteel - 03-24-2009

Russ Bellinis Wrote:I just checked my Walthers catalog and Micro Engineering and Shinohara both offer r-t-r turnouts in code 70. Micro Engineering only offers #6 & #8 while Shinohara offers them in #4 as well.

thanks alot russ,im getting tired of hand laying all these CV kits,its not that i cant do it,but all the fiddling with them just doesnt seem worth it to me.especially since i probably wont use the super detailing kits that came with them.so thanks Thumbsup --josh