4X8 layouts
What:

"North Jersey Coast" Layout, derived from MR's "Callahan Central", as seen in the book "From Set to Scenery".

It features Conrail and NJ DOT/ NJ Transit trains, as well as an industrial railroad.

When

Originally set in the 1990s/early 2000s, being slowly backdated to the late 70s.

The layout was built in 2003-2004 when I was 13-14, and I've been tinkering with it since.

Where

It was originally loosely based on the section of Conrail/NJ Transit trackage through Perth Amboy, NJ, just south of the Outerbridge Crossing.

Currently, it is a little more generalized, but still a New Jersey themed electrified layout based on the 1970s.

How

Despite being a 4x8 layout, it does host THREE different railroads.

The outer oval is almost exclusively passenger trackage, hosting the various MU and locomotive hauled commuter trains typically of 2 to 3 car lengths. Current commuter trains usually consist of a pair of Arrow III MUs.

The inner oval hosts mostly freight trains, usually with 4 axle road switchers. A recently expanded yard allows ample space for sorting and blocking cars. a spur "off layout" serves an interchange. Typical freight trains are 5-6 cars long plus a caboose. The consists are usually 2 insulated/clean lading boxcars, 1-3 tank cars with corn syrup and vegetable oil, and 1-2 Airslide or similar hoppers.

The industrial area is mostly switched by the industry's GE 44 ton diesel, or a trackmobile. The conrail road switchers (and even SW types) are too big to fit onto the spur and still shift more than one car at a time up to the bakery building.

A somewhat lengthy video (14 minutes) of this portion of the layout in operation can be seen here, Please watch if you haven't!- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pi3rDA2fI">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pi3rDA2fI</a><!-- m -->

I'll try to take an overall shot soon.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread