What made you choose....
iis612 Wrote:Your particular road?, Your particular location? Your particular era?
I find the answers to these endlessly fascinating.

Particular roads:
Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company( SHS&D ): The 3' gauge industrial rail line of the "Shipyard".
Sagaponack Montauk and Cindys Harbor RR ( SM&CH ): Started out as the Sagaponack Montauk RR ( SM ). Cindys Harbor was added after I married. This line is the wholly owned subsidiary of the Shipyard ( SHS&D )
Shinnecock Hills Lumber Company ( SHLC ): a standard gauge lumber line ( yeah I know!, there is no lumber in Shinnecock Hills Icon_twisted 357 , an area just East of the Shinnecock Canal on the South Fork of Eastern Long Island )
Wiscasset Bucksport & Schoodic Point ( WB&SP ) a 30' gauge in O scale ( I was tempted to go 2 foot gauge, but chose On30 instead )

Particular Location:
Northeast U.S. Coast; Eastern Long Island, and New England "with a Maine coast accent".

Particular Era :
Contemporary, using mostly Steam powered locomotives, all maintained by the Shipyard, some built by the Shipyard.
The Shipyard's owner and CEO, happens to like Steam Locomotives, and the yard itself has all the needed facilities for building and maintaining them. ( there are still a lot of ships that are steam powered.)

All the above because I spent the better part of my youth in that area, and have always been close to the Sea, and still like Steam Locomotives. I figure if you are going to have a "loco motive", why not "let off some Steam while you're doing it! Icon_twisted Wink Smile Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread