Calling SW Ohio Gaugers...
Bigsteel Wrote:i would go depending on the date,preferably later in the year ,maybe around summer?theres also the whitewater valley railroad down here with a porter and a few switchers from the CUT--josh

I haven't been over to the bone yard for awhile. Their 2-6-2 just leaves me sad. I thought the porter was a visitor...they otherwise have a little saddle tank Vulcan...has it been restored? I also am saddened by the state of their EBT 0-6-0. I need an extra handkerchief to visit Connersville. I'll probably be taking my son over there a few times in the next few years (he's too small now). I'd love to see them put a few of their less historic cabooses/passenger cars/diesels and such out to pasture and pour their resources into the rarer pieces of their collection.

I picked Carillon as the suggestion for a few reasons:
1) In my opinion, while not the largest collection, it is the best collection within an hour. They have a few truly rare pieces.
2) Most railfans are not aware of it
3) It is a reasonable drive from Columbus, Lima, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati
4) The pieces are in excellent cosmetic shape and you can get very close to them
5) The presence of the live steamers along with the museum
6) The historic non-railroad collection around it

The trip wouldn't be until it is warm...and the live steamers are out.

Matt, I'm using SW Ohio in a general sense Goldth I'd certainly love to meet people from all over the area...especially those with interests in steam, building cool kits, and regional historic railroads.

Also, for those whom aren't aware...there is a railroad "museum" in Latonia, KY...about a mile from Johnny's Toys. It is really a collection of locally owned railroad cars. There are a few diesels...such as a PRR E-unit. There is a surprising number of passenger cars. I know a few people with cars there. They are open for visitors a couple time per week (Weds, IIRC).

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread