Scrap metal works
I've been to a couple of scrapyards back in the 1970s. In those days they sold to the public on site, as well as shipping to industrial customers, and were a bargain hunter's paradise. One was an auto wreckers and the other was run by a demolition company. My recollection is that there was a very large area that was all in piles: tires, radiators, metal sorted by type. Then there was an area that was wooden shelving (outdoors), with smaller parts in boxes.

At the wreckers they had doors and windows leaning against the fence, fridges and stoves, rads, pipes, sinks, toilets - you name it. Basically any salvageable items removed from a building before it was demolished. These yards could be huge and could have several different buildings.

If you're looking for something smaller, I'd suggest a trackside operation where the scrap has been pre-sorted somewhere else. For example, scrap steel catering to a steel mill. All you'd really need is a fence, some rusted scrap metal, a tiny shack for an office, and of course a nasty guard dog!

And, if you're looking for rusted metal reference, I just happen to have this photo that I snapped a couple years ago.

[Image: heap.jpg]

cheers
Val

Messages In This Thread