NY&A ISL
I really liked the plan. I see an enjoyable layout with infinite possibilities.

I was just wondering why is the runaround there since all of the spurs are pointing the same way? Are you running the train in from stage left and then running the engine runs around the train to switch it? That works. I'm just worried about having two tracks that have to match up with the drop leaf at the end (please don't take it as a critique, I was just wondering about the operating scheme).

I agree that a runaround doesn't have to be 15 feet long. The problem with runarounds is that the drill tracks at both ends have to be a little long to handle a locomotive and some cars. Figure that if a spur holds 2 cars and you are exchanging 2 cars, the drill track needs to hold a locomotive and 4 cars. In the 12 feet that you have, it gets a little tight.

What I propose is an ISL with a scenery on the drop leaf (maybe a fold up backdrop) and a yard type layout:

The train can arrive (staged) on the middle track or it can be dropped off to be switched by the Bushwick Avenue Switcher permanently assigned there. The tracks are top to bottom as follows:

Track 1 is a food processor that handles from left to right: tank cars, box cars/reefers, and covered hoppers.

Track 2 is a 48 inch track for car storage/sorting with a manufacturing company at the end (box cars, tank cars, gondolas, plastic pellet covered hoppers, covered hoppers, flat cars, coil cars)

Track 3 is the arrival/interchange/sorting/departure track that is 72 inches long.

Track 4 has 36 inches available for car storage and has a building supply on the end of the track with a covered hopper unloading facility (for cement, sand, salt, etc) and space to unload building materials from box cars, center beams, and flat cars. You could blank out the truck roll doors on the Medusa Cement.

Track 5 has a team track and a loading dock for paper rolls.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.

Messages In This Thread