Newbie - District 22 - Downtown L.A. (A table top railway)
Hi.

Thought I'd post an update which I hope you will find of interest.

Thoughts have turned (already) to my first 'building' project, so I thought I'd start with something which appears fairly straight forward. In fact, I intend to scratchbuild everything buldings wise, so I'm going to keep it all as simple as possible and concentrate on the weathering.

So here it is (will post later as the document is apparently too big). It's a of a mainly single storey workshop/warehouse building which stands in Palmetto Street and is the front facade of the building furthest from the camera in this shot <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/emd111/3692550760/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/emd111/3692550760/</a><!-- m -->

Here's my plan of it drawn full scale size        

The result of much cogitation and consideration of what the building actually looked like, the size of embossed brick sheets used to aide construction, available windows and size of bricks on a sheet. Incidentally the side which will look onto the street ( to left as you look, will have no detail and the brick sheet will only extend from the corner for a short distance to be replaced with plain plasticard. Why? Can't be seen, so don't want to waste valuable modelling time and resources on it). The right hand side as drawn has no detail: I was going to put a main door' on here to provide a little relief, however, I've decided to foreshorten the wall somewhat as I'm going to place a slightly higher building behind in attempt to create some depth to the scene (I hope) and the provision of the door here would make the short wall a little too obvious. It will now replace one of the windows on the facing wall as drawn.
The highest aspect is simply one sheet high to save joining them, as the sheets are quite small so will have plenty of hidden joints to contend with on the length.

I couldn't find any suitable windows to represent the steel framed variety of the prototype (apart from some VERY expensive HO ones), so have resorted to what I can muster over here        

Messages In This Thread