70th Anniversary of D-Day
As you can tell by my other post, I strongly object to using the term, "hero" when referring to anyone other than those that risk everything for the sake of others. Calling sports figures heroes because they hit home runs or make touchdowns and are paid gigantic sums to do so is an insult to those that stormed those beaches 70 years ago. A movie star is not a hero just because they caught the bad guy at the end. Remember, they too demand high salaries for their efforts, and it's the stuntmen that take all the physical risks. Those guys 70 years ago weren't in it for the money, but for the real payback, freedom from oppression. As I remember, they were paid somewhere between $50-100 if they were lucky and their families back home had to make due. There was no wi-fi on the battlefield where they could talk to their loved ones through Skype, they all wrote letters when they could, and as I remember, all correspondence was censored as well. The TV showed a guy that had parachuted into Normandy 70 years ago and did it again yesterday. He truly deserves to be called a hero... Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread