Branch line/ISL
jwb Wrote:Another thing that strikes me is that your industry designations are very generic. You call them manufacturer, distributor, warehouse, and such, which doesn't say much. One of my hobby horses, which people here are all too aware of, is that there's less and less boxcar traffic -- 10-20% overall, though it depends on the region and industry involved. But switching a "boxcar" to a "warehouse" is no longer all that common, especially the multi-story curtain wall design from the 1920s or whenever. The photos of your layout progress show a Railbox, a corn syrup car, and a covered hopper often used for grain or barley. Neither the corn syrup car nor a grain car would go to a "warehouse", although a corn syrup car would go to a certain type of distributor, though not a brick background flat. So I would commend the idea of researching actual industries in the Railbox-Trinity covered hopper era that commonly use such cars and maybe think less of the "usual suspects".

The industries I use is based on several short line customer base as well as the annual number of cars handled as found in American Short Line Railway Guide by Edward A. Lewis (Kalmbach) .

My Summerset Ry serves warehouses,a grocery distributor,a plastic plant and a team track (transload track) so,SSR handles boxcars,covered hoppers,tank cars and gons(pipes),coil cars and bulkhead flat cars (lumber) for the transload track.
Total cars handled 1200 annually( 25 cars a week.)

Whereas my Huron River serves two grain elevators,a propane distributor,a tire distributor and a frozen food distributor so HR handles covered hoppers, propane tank cars,reefers and boxcars.Total cars handled annually 1,536 (32 cars a week).

So,NSHO industries is correct based on information found in the Short Line Guide.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread